39. Pt.2 Our Time Before War

I was sitting in my cell after a long and hard day. Rick, Hershel and Daryl out there with The Governor was bad enough, now add Merle fighting with about everyone here. With my head against the wall of the cell, I heard a car engine. I looked out the window and saw that ugly green color. I let out a sigh of relief and ran down the stairs.

          By the time I got outside, they had just pulled in. I saw Carl run up to Rick and hug him. I saw Daryl and Merle give each other fist bumps. I was about to run to Daryl to make sure he was okay, but then I heard Judith start to cry. I let out a sigh and ran back into the prison and into Rick's cell where we had placed Judith to take a nap. I leaned down and pulled her out. "Hey, beautiful girl. Daddy's home. He's gonna be so happy to see you." I say as I start to walk out of the cell.

         Just as I exit Rick's cell, I see Rick look at me and rush over to Judith and place a kiss on her head. I smile at the moment in front of me. Rick pulls back from the hug and looks into my eyes. Checking to see if I'm okay. I give him a nod and watch as he walks away and starts to get ready to tell us about the meeting.

          "So, I met this Governor. Sat with him for quite a while." Rick says.

          "Just the two of you?" Merle asks Rick. Rick looks at Merle and nods his head. Merle turns around and looks me in the eyes. "Should have gone when we had the chance, Blondie." Merle says to me before hitting my shoulder with his. I looked at the back of his head with anger. I had Judith in my arms. I looked back and saw Daryl. Who had just saw the whole thing. I turn my attention back towards Rick.

          "He wants the prison. He wants us gone. Dead. He wants us dead. For what we did to Woodbury. We're going to war." Rick states to us all. I feel myself tighten my grip around Judith. Not enough to hurt her.

           I watch as Rick leaves the cell block. I look at Daryl and walk over to him. "You hold for me? I wanna go talk to Rick." I say. Daryl nods his head. I hand him Judith and smile at Daryl holding a baby. "She just woke up, so keep her warm." I say as I head off towards Rick.

         I ended up finding him on the walkway looking over the courtyard.

          "The group is strong and we all knew this was gonna be the outcome. Merle and Michonne are convinced we should hit first. Carol and Hershel believe we should take our chances on the road." I say to Rick. Rick looks over at me and I can see the conflict in his face.

          "What do you wanna do?" Rick asks me. I shake my head at him. "Not my call. I'm in this with you." I say to Rick. Rick turns towards me and takes my hand in his.

          "You're my sister... and after what Will did to you... I didn't do all that I could. I failed you on that. I will not fail you this time." Rick says to me. I smile up at Rick and shake my head. "You're my big brother. You've never failed me. You've disappointed me in the past... but never failed me." I say to Rick. I remove my hand from his.

          "If we stay and fight... I will fight along side you. I will not leave... but... everyone else here... you have to give them the choice to fight or not. They shouldn't fight a war they don't wanna fight." I say to Rick. Rick looks into my eyes. "Now... get your ass inside. Eat something and spend some time with your children. They missed you today." I say to Rick before walking away, back into the prison.

          I walk into the cell block and see Carol giving everyone bowls. "Hey, June." I hear Carol say. I walk over to her and she hands me a bowl. "Take that to Daryl. He went up to the guard tower before I could give him his." Carol says to me. I take the bowl and start to head outside.