26. Different Sounds

I woke up to light snoring in my ear. I gently turn around and see Daryl with his mouth slightly opened. I chuckle at him and turn my whole body around. I made sure not to wake him. I bring my hand to his chin and softly run his facial hair through my fingers. Loving the feeling of it.

The light from outside was now getting brighter and making the cell a bit brighter. I knew Daryl got up around this time, so I wasn't surprised when he opened up of those eyes of his to reveal those beautiful blues. Daryl looked down at me and smiled. "How long ya been up?" Daryl asked me. I smile up at him and chuckle. "Not too long." I say to him. He playfully scoffs at me and leans down to kiss me. The kiss was nice and soft. When Daryl pulled away, I opened my eyes back up and smiled some more at him. "No one is awake... maybe you and me... could have a little fun..." I say to Daryl in a seductive voice. I start to unbutton his shirt, but Daryl's hand comes down and stops me. I look up in his eyes. "I want to, but Rick, Glenn and I are gonna go get some wood pretty soon. I don't want 'em to come up here and see us screwing." Daryl says to me.

I let out an annoyed sigh and turn away from him. I get out of the bed and start putting clothes on. "June..." I hear Daryl say. I turn around and look at him while I button my pants. "I'm not mad, Daryl. Not at you or anyone else. It's just... want one good day. A day where no one has to cry or worry or go outside and risk their life." I say to Daryl. Daryl gets up from the bed and grabs my face, gently, and makes me look at him. "One day. I promise you." Daryl says to me with a smile on his face. I smile up at him and give him a quick kiss on the lips. "I'm gonna go check on Hershel. Be safe out there." I say to Daryl before walking down the stairs and into the cell where Hershel was.

I clear my throat and see Maggie, Beth and Glenn all sitting down on floor with Hershel. "Hey." I say to them. "Hey." Maggie says back to me. I walk into the cell and smile. "You all need anything?" I ask them. They all look up at me and shake their heads. I nod my head at them and walk out of the cell to go make some breakfast.

After I had made some breakfast, which was just some noodles, I gave everyone their bowl and we all ate. Rick, Glenn and Daryl left for their wood while the rest of us were either cleaning the courtyard or helping Hershel. I was helping Lori get supplies for Hershel. Like crutches, bandages and some more pain killers. "Hey Lori." I say to Lori. Lori looks over at me and smiles. "What's up?" she asks me. I stop in my tracks and decide to ask her a question that's been eating at me. "Merle." I say to her. She looks back at me and squints her eyes in confusion. "We never saw a body. Daryl, Rick, Glenn and T never saw a body. So if Merle was to show up... and wanted to take Daryl with him... do you think Daryl would go with him or stay with me?" I ask Lori.

Lori looks at me with concern. "This morning... I was about to walk out of the cell and I almost told Daryl I loved him. I thankfully didn't even get the words to form on my lips, but I don't want to say "I love you" to someone who wouldn't choose me over someone like Merle." I say to Lori. She inhales deeply and then looks me in the eyes. "I don't think Daryl would ever choose Merle over you. The way Daryl looks at you... it's the way Rick used to look at me. You can see the love in his eyes. Daryl either loves the hell out of you or he is one hell of an actor." Lori says to me. I nod my head at her and we make our way back to Hershel's cell.

"Alright." Lori says to Hershel. Lori and I help Hershel stand while Carl and Beth hold onto the crutches. "Where is everyone at?" Hershel asks us. I look at him and smile. "Daryl, Rick and Glenn are out getting wood. Maggie, Glenn, Carol and T are moving the cars and cleaning up the courtyard." I tell Hershel. Hershel nods his head at me and stands up with the help of Lori and I.

Hershel moves around with the crutches before taking an actual step with them. "You know, I think I'm pretty steady." Hershel says to Lori and I. Lori and I keep our hands near Hershel's shoulders while he walks around with the crutches. I smile at him. Proud that he isn't allowing this to take away his spirit. "That's a good start." I tell Hershel with a smile. "Want to take a rest?" Lori asks Hershel. Hershel looks over at her and scoffs. "Rest? Let's go for a little stroll" Hershel says with excitement. I look over at Lori and smile. She smiles back at me.