20. Georgia Winter

It's been around two or three months since the farm was overrun and I found my family on the highway. Everyone is still on edge. Lori is around four months pregnant and her baby bump is just absolutely adorable. She hasn't really caught me yet, but when I see her bump against her shirt, I really just can't stop looking at it.

          Other than Lori's baby bump, I haven't had many things to smile about lately. Daryl and I rarely talk. I keep telling myself it's just the stress from being on the road, but maybe I'm wrong.

          It was morning, and I had been up for many hours. I was up when I watched Daryl go out and hunt while it was still a little dark out. Glenn and I have been taking turns with watch lately. Tonight was my night and all I'm thankful for is that I still have the jacket Daryl found for me. The winter in Georgia really sucks ass.

         "Hey, you want some breakfast?" I turn around and see T standing there. I smile at him and shake my head. "No... split my share for Carl and Lori. They need it more than me." I tell T. He looks at me and smiles. "I hate you not eating, but I'll do what you ask." My smile gets bigger across my face and I shake my head. "I'm gonna go out. Get some air." I tell T. I walk away from him and head outside.

          It was nice outside. It was quiet and beautiful. I heard the backdoor slide open and someone step onto the deck. From the sound of the heavy boots hitting the wood, I knew it was Rick. "Gonna tell me why you didn't eat?" I playfully roll my eyes and sigh. "They need it more than I do. Carl's a kid and Lori is pregnant. With a baby Grimes. Remember when Lori was pregnant with Carl and it seemed like no amount of food was enough?" I ask Rick. I turn and look at him and see that a smile had formed on his face. "Yeah... I remember that. Especially with those cravings. The peanut butter sandwich with pickles." I shuttered at the memory of Lori eating those sandwiches.

           We both laughed at the memory. The laughter soon died down and we were just left with silence. "Rick... I understand you're angry with her. But you need to stop. Be there for her. Be there for your child. You do a lot. You're there for her and the baby when they need protection. But they need you there mentally and physically." I say to Rick. He looks at me and sighs. He looks away from me and looks out into the woods. He sighs once more and looks over at me. "Stop giving away your food. You need to eat as well." Rick tells me before walking away and back into the house.

          I looked back out to the woods and saw a single walker making its way towards the house we are staying in. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my knife out of it's sheath. There was snow all over the ground, so I had to be careful going down the stairs. The snow had to be at least 2 inches. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough. As I made my way closer to the walker, I took a deep breath. I stopped walking and let the walker make it's way closer to me. The closer it gets, the more I can smell it's stench and see the decaying body. I could hear it growling, waiting to take a bite out of me.

           Once the walker was within 10 feet of me, I was getting ready to stab it in the head. But not before a bolt went into its skull. I looked to my left and saw Daryl, with his bow aimed right where the walker used to be. I let out a breath of air I didn't know I was holding in. I looked down at the walker and walked over and pulled the bolt out of its skull. Once I had removed the skull, I started walking over towards Daryl, with his bolt in my hand.

          I hold the bolt out in front of him and he takes it. "I had it. It wasn't going to hurt me." I tell Daryl. He looks at me and nods his head. I hear him hum in agreement. He starts to walk away, but I touch his upper arm. "Daryl... why aren't you talking to me? Did I do something?" I ask him. He scoffs and looks up at me. "No... I'm just... busy. Gotta keep people fed and safe." Daryl states to me. I nod my head at him. "Okay... just wanted to know. Thank you." I say to him before walking away.