38. Pt.1 Our Time Before War

**DARYL'S POV**

           Today is the day that Hershel, Rick and I are gonna go meet The Governor. June didn't want to come, which I'm thankful for. Last thing I want is for her to be anywhere near that monster.

           As I walk outside and open the back to the car and throw in a bag, I hear someone chuckle behind me. I turn around and see June leaning against the brick wall with a smile on her face. I walk over to her and shake my head. "The hell you chucklin' at me for?" I ask her in a playful tone. June shakes her head at me. "Nothing... you just got a cute butt." June says to me. I raise my eyebrows at her and shake my head.

          "I could say the same for you." I say to her. I hear the door open to the prison and see Hershel and Rick exit and start going towards the car. I look back at June and give her a smile.

           "Why aren't you taking the bike?" June asks me. I look at my bike and give it a sad smile.
We're a little low on gas. I don't wanna waste gas unless I have to. Take care of it for me?" I ask her. June smile at me and nods her head.

          "You take care of yourself, June. I'll be back before you know it." I say to her. I give her a smile before turning my back and start to go towards the car. I got maybe two and a half steps in before I felt her grab onto my upper arm and turn me around.

          "You're gonna be near him... I ask that you put your anger aside and make sure you, Rick and Hershel make it back to us." June says to me. I hesitate before nodding. I remove my arm from her grip and make my way to the car. I climb into the backseat and close the door.

          I hear footsteps coming towards the car. I look to my right and see June coming to the passenger side. Rick rolls down his window. June smiles at Rick. "Be safe. Don't die... please." June says before leaning down and giving Rick a peck on the cheek. I watch as June looks over at Hershel and smiles. "You, too." June says. Hershel nods his head at her. June looks back at me and gives me a smile before stepping away from the car and heading back into the prison.

          Rick rolls his window back up and Hershel starts to move the car.

          The place were meeting Philip at is not too far from the prison. Maybe about a fifteen minute drive.

           With my head resting on the head rest, I close my eyes and I see June. That beautiful smile, those green eyes and that beautiful blonde hair. Since the conversation in the hallway of the prison, June and I have been working on one another. Being there for each other, talking to each other. Being friends as she said we needed to do before we ever got back to the relationship that we had before Woodbury.

           "How are you?" I hear Rick ask from the front seat. I raise my head and look at Rick. "What?" I ask him. Rick looks back at me and then back to the front. "How are you? How are things with you and June?" Rick asks me. I look out my side window and sigh. "I'm not gonna complain. We're talking and making jokes with each other again." I say to Rick. I'm not someone who wants to talk about my feelings and let alone private things with someone who isn't involved with those private things.

            "Well... I'm happy. It's nice to see her smile. Especially after..." Rick trails off. I feel the anger rise in me. Every time I look at June, I get happy and I usually smile. But underneath the surface, I feel the anger of what that man did to her. Not only does it remind me of him, but it reminds me of my father and what June went through with him.

            I lightly shake my head and try to clear my thoughts. I need to be focused.

           It wasn't much longer till I started seeing buildings. I grabbed my crossbow and waited till Hershel stopped the car. Rick and I both stepped out of the car and looked at one another. We needed to check the place. Make sure there is no traps.