28. The Past Returns

I opened my eyes and saw the top of the bunk. I let out a sigh when I remember all the horrible shit yesterday. Lori, T and Carol were dead, I screwed things up with Daryl and now we have a baby. A baby who doesn't have a mother and her father is grieving.

           I threw the cover off me and swung my legs over the bed. I jolted when my feet hit the cold floor. I slowly put my feet on the floor and allowed them to adjust to the cold. I leaned over and grabbed my bag and pulled out some new clothes. It was summer time, so I didn't want to put on a long sleeved shirt, so I went with some black pants and a black tank. I put on some clean underwear and a clean bra.

           I put on some new socks and my boots. I chuckled at my boots. They used to be black and shiny. Now they are caked up with gunk and they lost their shine. Poor things have been through a lot of shit.

          I sit up from my bunk and look at myself in the mirror. I put my long, blonde hair out of my ponytail and let it fall onto my shoulders. I always hated my hair when it got too long. I always felt more confident in short hair. I look down at my bag on the floor and I see the pair of scissors I have in there. I smile down at them. I lean down and pull them out of the bag. I look at myself in the mirror once again and bring the scissors to my hair and chop away.

          My mom taught me how to cut hair. She always told me that a woman needs to know how to handle her own hair because what's the point in taking care of others, if you can't take care of yourself. I remember laughing at her for saying that, but she was right.

          Once my hair done, it was barely touching my shoulders. I smiled at myself in the mirror. "Love the hair." I hear someone say behind me. I turn around and see Maggie leaning against the frame with her hands crossed.

          I put my hands through my hair and smile at her. "Thank you." I say to her. She smiled back at me and walks into my cell. "Glenn and I are going on a run. We have enough formula for Lil' Asskicker for a good three or four months, but I don't want to run out. You know? So, you wanna come with? We would love the extra help." Maggie says. I think for a moment, but I end up nodding my head at her. "Yeah, you mind if I get something to eat first?" I ask her. She gives me a light chuckle and nods her head. "Glenn and I are eating too. Bethy made some noodles." Maggie states to me. I smile at her and we both walk out of my cell.

          Maggie and I both walk into the eating area of the prison and I see Carl, Hershel and Beth sitting down at a table with the baby in a little box, while Glenn was sitting at a table, waiting for Maggie and I. I saw Daryl sitting on the steps, but I don't really think he is in the mood to talk to me. Maggie makes me a bowl and I walk over and sit down with Glenn. "I'm really diggin' the hair." Glenn states to me. I smile at him and nod my head. "Thank you, Glenn." I say to him with a smile.

          We were all enjoying our breakfast when we hear Rick speak from behind the gate. "Everybody okay?" Rick asks us. I look back at him and I feel relief wash over me. I know my brother is hurting, so to see him alive and talking is nice. "Yeah, we are." I say to him. Rick pushes the gate open and walks into the room with us all.

          "What about you?" Hershel asks Rick. Rick looks down at Hershel. "I cleared out the boiler block." Rick said. Rick avoided Hershel's question. Of course he did. I know my brother was breaking. A part of me knows that I helped cause it. "How many were there?" Daryl asked Rick, which drew me out of my thoughts. Rick looked up at Daryl. "I don't know. A dozen, two dozen. I have to get back Just wanted to check on Carl." Rick says. I look at him and I feel rage burn through me. I get up from the table, which causes Rick to look at me. "You have a daughter. You give a shit?" I ask him. He looks at me and I swear if looks could kill. I would be dead.