17. Opinions Can Make a Difference

I was sitting with the rest of the group at the campsite, while Daryl was questioning the prisoner. I had a feeling Daryl wasn't in there just talking. I hated that Rick sent Daryl in there. Like Daryl is his own personal torture dog, but I also understand that Daryl can be scary at times and if anyone can get this prisoner to talk, it's Daryl.

          I looked around and made sure no one was watching me. I slowly started walking away from the camp and going towards the shack. I could hear the prisoner whining and the sound of punches landing on someones face. I sat against the back of the barn and listened to the conversation.

          "I told you." the man said to Daryl. Daryl quickly replied back with anger in his voice. "Ya told me shit!" I felt the shack vibrate from what I'm assuming is Daryl throwing or pushing the prisoner against the wall. "I barely knew those guys. I met 'em on the road." the prisoner said to Daryl. "How many in your group?" Daryl asks the man. It was quiet for a few seconds. I shook my head. "Just answer him." I said to myself.

          "Uh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Come on, man." I hear the prisoner plead with Daryl. I jumped when I heard the sound of a knife stabbing into the wood. I hear the prisoner yelp and Daryl scream at him. "How many?!" he asks again with more anger in his voice. "Uh, 30. 30. 30 guys." the man finally reveals. My heart starts beating. "Where?" Daryl asks him. "Uh..." the man says. Out of the blue, I hear him scream in pain. "I don't know. I swear. We were never anyplace more than a night." the man says to Daryl.

          "Scoutin'? Plannin' on stayin' local?" Daryl questions the man. "I... I don't know. They... they left me behind." the man continues to plead with Daryl. "Did ya ever pick off a scab?" Daryl asks the man. I was confused for a minute, but then I remembered that the prisoner had surgery on his knee. Daryl must be threatening to remove the scab or make it worse. "Come on, man! I'm... I'm trying to cooperate." the man begs Daryl. If there is one things I know about Daryl, is that begging don't get you anywhere.

          "Start real slow at first. Sooner or later, ya just gotta rip it off." Daryl says. "Okay. Okay. They have weapons... heavy stuff, automatics. But I didn't do anything." he said. My heart started beating faster. Thirty unknown men with automatics. My breathing was getting hard to control. "Your boys shot at my boys. Tried to take this farm. Ya just went along for the ride? You're trying to tell my you're innocent?" Daryl asks him. The man quickly replies with determination in his voice. "Yes!" he says to Daryl.

          I could hear the man breathing heavily in the shack. "These... these people took me in. Not just guys... a whole group of 'em. Men and women, kids too... just like you people. Thought I'd have a better chance with them, you know? But... we got out, scavenge... just the men." my breathing slowed down. My eyes stared into the grass. I had a feeling now what these men do. And the thought of it... made my stomach turn.

          "One night we... we found this little campsite. A man and his two daughters... teenagers, you know? Real young. Real cute. Their daddy had to watch while these guys... they... and they didn't even kill him afterwards. They just... they just made him watch as his daughters... they just... just... left him there." My heart felt as if it stopped beating. I thought what he just said couldn't get any worse. I really did.

          "And not long ago... me and one of the men... we split up and were going through the woods when we saw this pretty blonde. She was all alone. I didn't want to bother her, but he made me. We hit her over the head... twice. He made me help grab her ankles and drag her back to our camp. The girl... she grabbed a stick or... or branch or something. Hit me over the head with it. I fell to the ground while the other man started shooting at her... we... we had to go back to camp. I needed stitches. When morning came... we went back out looking for her and we couldn't find any trace of her. She just... vanished." the man said.