19. Fading Light

**DARYL'S POV**

          "Yo! Randall's missing man." I hear T-Dog say behind me. I turn around with a confused look on my face. "What? The hell you mean missing?" I ask him. He shakes his head. Not knowing either. We all run over towards the shed and see that T-Dog wasn't lying. Randall was missing, but the cuffs were still hooked. I walk out of the shed and look over at mine and June's tent. I start to worry. I was about to start running over there, but I heard Shane hollering for Rick. "Rick! Rick!" Shane shouts. I load my crossbow.

          "What happened?" Lori asks Shane. Shane continues to walk towards the group. "He's armed! He's got my gun!" Shane shouts. I look at the tent again and decide I need to go check on her and let her know what is going on. "He killed June." Shane shouts. I stop dead in my tracks and look at him. I think Rick and I have the same face at the moment. Pure shock and heartbreak. "What?" Rick asks Shane in a low voice. "Told me. He got loose and he snatched her up. Killed her. I'm sorry man. We need to kill this little bastard. Like we should have from the jump." Shane tells Rick.

           I keep my eyes on Shane. A part of me not truly believing a word that comes out of his mouth. We all kept silent for a moment. Not sure on what do to. "We need to kill him Rick. He just killed your sister. You really gonna let this one slide?" Shane asks Rick. Rick looks up at Shane with pure hate in his eyes. I won't believe June is dead until I see a body. I just won't. I see Rick take a deep breath and look over at me. "Daryl... Glenn. Come with Shane and I. Hershel, T get everyone else back to the house." Rick says to everyone. I grab my crossbow and start to walk into the woods with them.

          "Hey man... I'm sorry about June. I know you two were close." I hear Glenn say next to me. I give him my sideways glare and scoff. "She ain't dead until I see a body." I say to Glenn. He looks at me and smiles "Fair enough." He replies back to me. "I saw him head up through the trees that way before I blacked out. I'm not sure how long." Shane says. I look around and don't see any tracks. Which is odd, because if Shane's story was right, there would be tracks. "He couldn't have gotten far. He's hobbled, exhausted." Rick says. "And armed." Glenn says to Rick. Rick turns around and looks at Glenn. "So are we." Rick turns to me and I look down at the ground, trying to find tracks.

          "Can you track him?" Rick asks me. I shake my head. "No, I don't see nothing." I say to Rick. Shane keeps moving around. Like he's hiding something. People who are nervous and or hiding something, tend to move around a lot. "Hey, look, there ain't no use in tracking him, okay? He went that way. We need to pair up. We spread out, we just chase him down. That's it." Shane says to us. I turn around at him and raise my eyebrows at him. "Kid weighs a buck-25 soaking wet. You tryin' to tell us he got the jump on ya?" I ask Shane. "I say a rock pretty much evens those odds, wouldn't you?" Shane says to me. I go to say something else but Rick seems to have had a enough.

          "All right, knock it off. You and Glenn start heading up the right flank. Me and Shane will take the left. Remember, Randall's not the only threat out there." Rick says to me. I nod my head at him and drag Glenn along with me to the right. I kept trying to find tracks, but only thing coming up was animals tracks. Nothing more. No Shane tracks, no Randall and no June. "You think his story is weird?" I hear Glenn ask me. I turn around and look at him. "Shane's... I mean... June... she wouldn't go down without a fight... and why would Randall bother killing her and then telling him. Randall was scared. I mean of everything. Do you think he would really spend the few seconds to tell Shane that he killed June?" Glenn asks me. I look at him and I completely agree with him. June wouldn't go down without a fight. And Randall... he's too scared to even be around us.

          I decide that I need to try and find Randall, and hopefully June. So I clear my head and clear my throat. "You gotta light? This is pointless." I say to Glenn. He reaches from his pocket and hands me a flashlight. I turn it on and look around for tracks. I let out a irritated sigh and start walking away.