34. Promises

"June? June, wake up." I hear someone saying. I stir a little before opening my eyes. I look to my right and see Carl sitting in a chair with the baby. I smile over at him. I sit up on the bed and when I do the cover falls down to my waist and that's when I notice that my shirt isn't the same one I came back in. I lift the cover up and see that I'm only in my underwear under the sheet. I look over at Carl and clear my throat.

          "Carl... why am I in different clothes? And have lack of clothes on?" I ask him. Carl looks at me an chuckles. "Hershel saw the bullet wound. He knew you needed to be checked out." Carl says to me. I shake my head at him. "I would have known if someone was touching me." I say to Carl. Carl looks down at the baby. "You've been out for almost two days." Carl says to me. My eyes go wide.

          I take a minute to let everything sink in before I clear my throat. "Hey, Carl... you mind stepping out just for a moment? I need to put on some pants." I say to Carl. Carl looks up from the baby and nods his head. I wait until Carl is out the door before sitting up from the bed and untying the cover on my door to allow me some privacy.

          I winced as I put on my pants. The pain isn't as bad as it was when I left Woodbury, but it was still present. Just not as bad. After I button my pants up and put on my socks and boots, I decide to brush my hair and teeth. It felt nice to brush my hair and teeth. Growing up I always brushed my teeth after every meal. Even if it was just a little candy bar for a snack. I had to brush my teeth after. I never liked the feeling of food in or on my teeth. So, that's one thing I really hate about this world. I have to be more mindful with the toothpaste.

          After I feel somewhat clean, I move the sheet on the door and see Carl and the baby still standing there. "Anyone else awake?" I ask him. Carl shakes his head. "Judith woke up and my dad wasn't in the cell, so." Carl says to me. I nod my head at him. "Wanna head outside? Get some fresh air?" I ask him. Carl gives me a smile before nodding his head. I put my arms out towards the baby. Carl looks at me and gently gives her to me. "Her name is Judith." Carl says to me. I smile at him as I bring the baby to my chest.

           Carl and I headed outside and the second the fresh morning air hit me, I smiled up at the sky. It was still a little chilly, but it was perfect at the moment.

          Carl and I ended up sitting on the steps. I move the blanket around so I can get a better look at Judith's face. I smile down at the baby who's eyes were wide open. They were dark blue at the moment. Most babies are born with dark blue eyes. My index finger gently went across her cheek as I admired her. "She's so cute. Can't believe something so beautiful was born in this ugly world." I say. I look over at Carl who was looking at me. "What?" I ask him. Carl quickly shakes his head before looking down at the ground.

          I turn my body and grab his chin and make him look at me. "What is it?" I ask him. Carl looks into my eyes and sighs. "I'm sorry that Daryl left you." Carl says to me with pain in his voice. I shook my head at him. "Don't be. I got you and Judith at my side." I say to Carl. My comment makes him smile from ear to ear.

          For the next hour we spent sitting on those steps and talking about stuff. Talking about people.

          Carl and I jumped when the door to the prison opened. We both turned around and saw Maggie and Beth standing there. They both put a hand over their heart. "You two can't do that. You gotta tell someone." Maggie says to Carl and I. I look over at Carl and we both let out a laugh.

          Once the laughter was finished between Carl and I. I stood up and smiled down at Carl. "Why don't you got do something. I'll give Judith to Beth." I say to Carl. Carl nods his head at me before heading back inside the prison.