004. Agree to Disagree

╒══════════════════╕Chapter FourAgree to Disagree╘══════════════════╛

Chapter Four
Agree to Disagree
╘══════════════════╛

     IT WASN'T VERY OFTEN SHE FOUND HERSELF in this position with her mother, just the two of them enjoying breakfast at Pop's diner before Tori would have to head out for school. She didn't know what to say to her mother besides the most recent stories of what happened at school as she pushed the sliced strawberries around her small stack of pancakes. Surely, her mother was already aware about some of the Southside students transferring to Riverdale High but what were her thoughts about it?

     "Mom, what do you think about the Southsiders transferring to Riverdale High?" Tori asked.

     "Well Southside High was never a good school so I think Riverdale High will have lots to offer them," her mother said before taking a bite out of her scrambled eggs.

     "So you're not worried about drugs and gangs and violence?"

     "I do worry but I trust that you won't get yourself involved in anything like that."

     Tori nodded and took a few more bites out of her pancakes and strawberries until another question came to her mind.

     "Do you ever feel ashamed about growing up in the Southside?" Tori asked curiously and cautiously.

     Tori's mother paused before taking a deep breath and continuing.

     "No. The Southside may have been a junkyard but it was still home to me and I still learnt a few things over there that living in the Northside couldn't teach me. But your father and I moved to the Northside because we wanted you to have the chances and opportunities we never got out of living in the Southside," her mother said.

     "You and Dad were Southsiders but I was born on the Northside. But I'm still just a Northsider, aren't I?" Tori asked.

     "You are unique. You could belong in both places for all anyone knows but it all depends on who you are and what you want to do and who you choose you to be. Northsiders will tell you differently because of who your father and I were and Southsiders will do the same because of where you live now. The important thing is that you don't let them invalidate you or your identity," her mother said while smiling encouragingly.

     Tori didn't say anything else as she looked at the rest of her food that still remained uneaten. She sighed as she straightened her posture and finished the rest of her breakfast after checking the time on her phone.