023. Freaks and Geeks

╒══════════════════╕Chapter Twenty-ThreeFreaks and Geeks╘══════════════════╛

Chapter Twenty-Three
Freaks and Geeks
╘══════════════════╛

     THE STUDENT LOUNGE WAS NEARLY EMPTY WHEN TORI ARRIVED and she saw that Sweet Pea was already there with his chemistry textbook wide open. She dropped her bag on the floor as she sat down right beside him, pulling his attention away from the pages of his textbook.

     "How long have you been waiting here?" she asked.

     "Three minutes. I got here as soon as I left second the period," Sweet Pea said while shrugging his shoulders.

     Tori nodded as she pulled out her own textbook and her notebook along with a black ink pen. They spent the next ten minutes going over everything Sweet Pea did understand while Tori tried to figure out the things that he didn't understand. Fangs and Toni walked into the student lounge and saw Tori and Sweet Pea with their faces stuck in their textbooks.

     "You guys are such nerds," Toni said while chuckling.

     "Tori's the nerd," Sweet Pea said while pointing at the dark haired girl sitting right next to him.

     Tori glared at him and playfully hit his shoulder.

     "If it wasn't for this 'nerd' you would be failing chemistry by now," Tori said while nudging his side with her elbow and rolling her eyes.

     Toni and Fangs sat down on the couch across from Tori and Sweet Pea and Fangs pulled out a package of red licorice. Tori tried to help Sweet Pea understand the lesson from the day before but it was only getting more frustrating. Toni and Fangs watched in amusement as Sweet Pea tried to do one of the questions on his own and got it wrong for the third time.

     "No offence, Sweet Pea, but you and chemistry is not a good match," Toni said and Sweet Pea only glared at her.

     "He can do it, Toni," Tori said as she picked up her notebook and looked for the pages that would help the Serpent boy understand the lesson. "Use these notes to help you understand and then try it again."

     "Anyone got something interesting to talk about so we don't have to watch Sweet Pea's chemistry grade drop as we speak?" Fangs asked while smirking at Sweet Pea, who responded with a glare before he tossed Tori's notebook at him.

     "Fight all you want but please don't use my chemistry notebook as a weapon. It took me months to write down everything and I have very detailed and organized notes from every single lesson written in there since the beginning of the semester," Tori said as she picked up her notebook that was now on the floor by Fangs' feet.

     "Yeah, it must've taken forever to colour code everything with colourful pens and highlighters," Sweet Pea said sarcastically and Fangs covered his mouth to hide his smile.

     Tori sighed heavily.

     "Laugh all you want. But you can't deny the fact that if my notes weren't as organized as they are right now, you never would've gotten caught up with everything and you would be failing miserably with no hope of passing the course," Tori said as she sat down and checked Sweet Pea's answer. "Not to mention that you would've failed this question for the fourth time."

     "I got it right this time?" he asked.

     "Yeah. You're starting to understand," Tori said.

     "Just in time too," Toni said as everyone grabbed their stuff and started heading to class. "I'll see you in biology."

     "Bye, Toni," Tori said as the pink haired girl left the student lounge and she started packing her stuff. "See you around Fangs."

     "See you, Tiny," the tanned boy said before rushing out of the lounge.

     "You know what, I'm not even gonna bother anymore," Tori sighed.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

     SITTING NEXT TO MF EVEN AFTER THE THREAT MADE TORI'S SKIN CRAWL. Biology class had just started and the seating plan was going to stay that way for one more day before the teacher would switch it up. For one more day, she needed to be able to sit next to the person who threatened her until a new seating plan was arranged. Their teacher started placing papers in front of the students face down and Tori knew that it was a test that they had taken on Thursday prior to what happened on Friday. Tori flipped over the piece of paper that was placed in front of her and she could feel her stomach drop at the mark written and circled in red pen on the top corner of the page. She was sure that all the time and hard work she had put into studying would pay off but that didn't seem to be the case.

     She hid the test in her binder so no one else could see it and turned her notebook to a blank page with a purple ink pen in her hand. Her mind was crowded with what had happened to Nana Rose Blossom and the mysterious disappearance of Cheryl that she had forgotten that she had even taken the test. It was like everything was slowly catching up to her and the longer she kept quiet, the heavier the weight on her shoulders became. Jotting down the notes written on the board was like a distraction from everything else that had been plaguing her mind and once the lesson was done and it was time to leave, those thoughts came back.

     As she was leaving, she felt a hand on her shoulder and she turned around to face the person who had approached her. She slightly relaxed when she realized it was just Toni and paused when she reached her locker.

     "I spoke to Betty and Josie earlier about Cheryl. Betty said she's going to try and dig up whatever she can find and then tomorrow, we are heading back to Thistlehouse and basically interrogating Mrs. Blossom," Toni said.

     "You guys can do the interrogating. I can't even look at that woman without feeling like she's trying to burn me alive. If looks could kill, I would be dead the day me and Cheryl became friends," Tori chuckled while putting her textbooks away.

     "But we still need you to come with us. I know you want to know what happened to Cheryl," Toni said.

     Tori nodded as she closed her locker and adjusted her bag on her shoulder.

     "When do we head over to Thistlehouse?" she asked.

     "Tomorrow after school. Betty is going to see what she can find tonight and we meet up at lunch tomorrow to discuss it," Toni said.

     Tori nodded again while quietly saying "okay" and started heading towards the exit. She really wanted to find out what had happened to her best friend and if Mrs. Blossom knew something, then she would have to go with Toni, Betty and Josie to Thistlehouse, even if the only thing they were going to get out of the older redheaded woman was a pack of lies.