021. The Missing Redhead

╒══════════════════╕Chapter Twenty-OneThe Missing Redhead╘══════════════════╛

Chapter Twenty-One
The Missing Redhead
╘══════════════════╛

     THE FLASHING LIGHTS OF THE AMBULANCE VEHICLE FADED AWAY into the distance as Tori's mother drove away from Thistlehouse. Not a word had left Tori's mouth since she had called her mother and practically begged her to pick her up from Cheryl's and take her home. Even though Selena was working a shift at the hospital, she put down everything to get Tori and bring her home. She could only imagine how Cheryl must have felt to see the only family member she could trust at the bottom of the stairs, especially after she voiced her worries about her mother and her uncle plotting her and her Nana Rose. She couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving like that but the thought of everything that had happened in the day and night seemed to have hit her like a bus. Although she went to Cheryl's because she didn't want to be alone, now being alone in the comfort of her own bedroom where no one could get to her was all she wanted.

     "Do you know what happened to Cheryl's Nana?" Selena asked as she stopped at a red light.

     Tori only shook her head as she leaned to the side.

     "All I know is that we heard a crash and we went to go see what it was. We saw Nana Rose unconscious at the bottom of the stairs and Cheryl screamed and Toni called an ambulance," Tori said.

     The light turned green and Selena continued driving. Pretty soon, she pulled up into the driveway and Tori took her seatbelt off as she grabbed her bag. She was still in her pajamas, not having the time or energy to change after she called her mother to pick her up.

     "Are you sure you're going to be okay here by yourself?" Selena asked warily.

     "I'll be fine," Tori said as she nodded shortly and her mother sighed.

     "I'll see you soon okay?"

     "Okay."

     Tori got out of the car and walked up to the doorstep as her mother pulled out of the driveway. Once she was inside, she locked the door and went to her bedroom and turned on the lights. She put her bag down right beside the bookshelf and sat on the bed. She sucked in a deep breath as she dialed Cheryl's number and waited for her to answer. It rang about five times before it went to voicemail and Tori sighed when she heard the beep.

     "Hey, Cheryl, it's Tori. I'm sorry I left, but just know that if you want to talk, I'm here and so is Toni. I know you're worried about Nana Rose, but you gotta have hope. I'll see you soon, Cheryl," Tori said into the receiver and ended the voice message.