028. Permanent Images

╒══════════════════╕Chapter Twenty-EightPermanent Images╘══════════════════╛

╒══════════════════
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Permanent Images
╘══════════════════╛

     TORI SAT DOWN IN THE CHAIR RIGHT ACROSS FROM SHERIFF KELLER and looked at her folded hands, not wanting to look at the man in front of her. The image of Midge's stabbed and crucified body pinned to the wall and the message written in her blood replayed in her mind over and over again like a video on loop.

     "You were backstage getting ready for the show, right?" Keller asked.

     "Yes, Sheriff," Tori said while nodding.

     "Did you see Midge during the time when everyone was getting ready?"

     "No, Sheriff."

     "Was anyone with you at the time you were getting ready for the show?"

     Tori wondered if she should mention that Sweet Pea was with her at the time but she was hesitant to do so. What if he became a suspect of Midge's brutal murder? His status as a Serpent would automatically put him on top of the list of suspects and it would be her fault. What if Sweet Pea was questioned and he said he was with her and she said she was alone? Or if he said he was never backstage and she said he was with her? The Sheriff would know that one of them was lying and question them some more and whoever told the lie would be the first suspect above the other. But whether Tori or Sweet Pea were to say that they were nowhere near each other, they would be caught either way because Jughead caught them on camera and it would be used as evidence.

     "Sweet Pea was with me in the dressing room twenty minutes before the show started," Tori said, hoping that she didn't just make a mistake by telling Sheriff Keller that Sweet Pea was backstage. "Can I ask you a question?"

     "I guess," Sheriff Keller said while shrugging his shoulders.

     "Who else is being questioned about Midge's murder?" she asked as she looked at him for the first time since she walked inside.

     "We're questioning everyone who was backstage before the show started."

     "With all due respect, Sheriff, by the time you question everyone who was backstage, whoever killed Midge could be planning their next move and until they do kill their next victim or get caught, everyone in this town are just sitting ducks until then."

     Sheriff Keller only looked at her as she fidgeted with her fingers as the events of that night replayed in her head for what felt like the ten thousandth time. She was back to avoiding eye contact and all she wanted was to go home and sleep but the memories of what she had just seen would most likely keep her awake for hours on end.

     After a few more questions, Tori was led outside of his office and her mother was waiting in the chairs that were right by his door. When she heard the door open, she quickly stood up and pulled Tori closer to her.