Chapter 3 - Leader

"Just pretend you're with me," Hoseok said.

He pulled the blindfold from your eyes as he slid off the horse. He reached up, helping you down and wrapping his arm around your waist. You shrugged him off.

"And why would I do that?" you asked.

"Because this is a camp full of men that don't get to leave base very often. I can only imagine what they'd do with a cute little thing such as yourself."

You let the words process as you looked around the base. You saw figures walking around the camp, but they moved like shadows instead of people.

"You're safer with me," he continued.

"I don't think I'm safe with you at all."

His lips pulled to the side. "At least you're not a total idiot."

"What do you mean total?"

He grabbed your hand and pulled you deeper into camp. You could easily throw him off, but his grip was possessive... and by the looks in the eyes of the men you passed, it was safer to be possessed. Their eyes made it clear that they had no reservations to kill. By the darkness in their eyes, you knew they already had.

Hoseok pulled you in further, towards the center of the camp. There must have been at least fifty tents in the clearing, with recently used fire pits between them. You could smell the charred meat, which made your stomach turn in jealousy.

Murders ate meat. Farmers ate plants.

Ironic.

Hoseok turned you to face him, knocking you out of your thoughts.

"Once we enter, don't speak unless you're spoken to. This will either go well or tragically for you, depending on what I say and do."

"And why should I listen to you?" you asked.

He smiled again, his teeth showing. It made your stomach shutter.

"Because," he said, "whether you like it or not, sweetheart, I'm your only hope."

"Hoseok!" a smoky voice called from inside the tent. "Why do I hear your babbling at the devil's hour?"

"Are you decent?" Hoseok yelled back.

"Why should I be?" the voice returned. "God knows you never are."

"Put on a robe. I have something to show you."

There was muttering as a candle was lit on the other side of the tent. A man's silhouette appeared, and he put his arms through a robe before reaching the tent entrance.

"What the devil -"

The man stopped as he opened the flap of the tent, staring straight into you. His eyes were small, but they were strong and sharp. They practically absorbed the shadows.

 They practically absorbed the shadows