Chapter 27 - Trustworthy

"Come with me. I want to show you something."

Namjoon's eyes were soft and gentle as he stood in your bedroom doorway. It wasn't a command, but an invitation.

You mentally scolded yourself for letting him hold you yesterday. It was a weak moment that you didn't want to give him the pleasure of having again.

But the way he held you... Namjoon was still in there somewhere. 

But there was no point in looking for him. With Jungkook in prison, how could you forgive him?

You turned your head from him. 

"You're losing your spirit," Namjoon continued. "Let me take you somewhere. I can't stand you locked up like this."

"You had no problems locking Jungkook up."

He sighed through his nose. "You didn't murder anyone."

"How do you know I didn't?" you replied, turning back to meet his eyes and challenge him.

He stared at you for a long moment, then smiled and shook his head. "Because I know you. Also, because Jin told me. Come on. Unless you want to be locked up in your room for a lifetime."

Out of curiosity,  you stood to follow him. Keeping you close to him, he took you through the prison grounds, the guards making minimal eye contact with you before turning their heads away. The news of Shownu's lashings had everyone on their best behavior.

Namjoon took you to the watchtower and led you up the stairs.

"You always liked the stars at night," he said. "I think you'll like this place."

You stopped halfway up the stairs. "Why are you doing this?"

He stopped a few stairs above you, turning back. "Doing what?"

"Treating me like this. You have lavish breakfasts prepared every morning. You punish your men if they get too close to me. You remember every detail of the past and..."

You trailed off. He stepped down into your space, leaning down towards your ear.

"You're not that naive, Y/N," he said. "I know you're not."

He pulled back and waved for you to continue to follow him.

He led you to the top of the tower, to a secluded outlook post. You could see everything from here; the entire expanse of the prison grounds, the fields on the other side of the wall. The city had a faint glow from where you stood, despite the distance to it. And on the other side of the city was the forests, barely anything more than shadows.

But in those shadows was the Rebellion.

Your heart ached to be part of those shadows once more.

"Look up," Namjoon whispered.

You turned to him for a moment, the moonlight catching the playful pieces of his eyes. You quickly turned your head away, then tilted your head back, looking at the array of lights glimmering in the dark skies.

The sky was stretched thin, but the light was seeping through.

You smiled. It was a small reminder that there was always hope.

Namjoon laughed beside you. "You're exactly as I remember. It comforts me."

"