Chapter 29 - Weaknesses

"Get the fire out!" Namjoon ordered, stepping into the chaos.

Guards ran back and forth with buckets of water, trying to contain the uncontrollable flames, their knuckles dragging close to the ground from the weight of the water in the buckets. The fire spread from the main hall, to the guards quarters, to the prison building, the twisting flames licking the sky as the flags of the emperor dissolved.

Jungkook.

You bolted out the door, but Namjoon yanked you back to his side. He locked you in his embrace.

"Let me go!" you spat in his face.

"Why?" he yelled back. "So you can run to your death? Not happening. You're going to the northern kingdom. Tonight."

He pulled you forward, rushing you both towards the exit. The heat felt like summer at midnight, the bright flames overloading your senses. As you reached the other side of the gates - now unmanned - and down the path towards the city, you pulled back so hard that Namjoon turned on his heel.

"I can't leave him!" you screamed. "He's my brother!"

"He was mine too!"

Namjoon's eyes glossed over as he caught his breath.

"Don't act like he meant nothing to me," he growled. "I raised him as my own brother after your father left. I poured everything I had into both of you."

He attempted to pull you further down the path.

"Until you found a better offer," you threw back. "Maybe if I was the richest bastard in the country with an endless supply of whores, I would let my brother die too."

He spun back and gripped your wrists, his eyes flashing brighter than the flames behind you.

"Do you want to know how they died, Y/N? Do you want to know how he killed them?"

You shook your head, leaning back as he leaned forward. "No, because you're lying."

"They were gutted in front of their own children. Ambushed at the town square on their day off. I saw everything from the bridge. By the time I got there, he and his friends were stringing them up by their necks in the trees. It was planned, Y/N. By someone who had a lot of damn practice."

Your knees buckled under you. "You're lying."

"I wish I was," he said, his grip slacking. "He took the ones who were fighting with me. The ones who saved my life when the superiors tried to burn the flesh off my body for sport. They were the ones fighting for the sake of their children. Children who now have their fathers' blood smeared on their clothing."

You looked back at the flames, the smoke billowing in the skies like a dark, reverse waterfall. Nausea overtook you as you thought of Jungkook's dead body burned among the ashes.

"If he dies," you said, shuttering, "I have no one left."

Namjoon locked his jaw, his eyes desperate.