Namjoon POV #5 - Rescued

I gripped my sword, turning towards the path to the city.

He wouldn't have her. That Jung bastard wouldn't touch Y/N again if I had anything to do with it. I hadn't survived so long just to give her up. I needed to find a horse. If I was quick, I could follow them to the —

"Captain."

I turned at the harsh sound of my title. Behind me stood a group of men - the ones who had no love for me, and I none for them. Shownu was among them. I had no doubt that he was the one to say my title with such disdain. To be honest, I didn't know why I hadn't killed him by now. I regretted my own mercy as soon as I saw the smile on his face.

"Where are the others?" I asked him.

He held my gaze, a glimmer of darkness settling in them.

"Why do you ask?" he replied. "Especially when your idea of leadership is to grab your whore and run, leaving your men to their deaths."

The others grumbled in surprise and agreement.

"Don't twist my actions," I said. "That was not my intention."

"Wasn't it? Just what were your intentions, Captain?"

The men stared at me for my response. In normal circumstances, I could lie without a pause. But my mind was blank - horrifically and dangerously blank.

Shownu smiled. "Cat got your tongue, Captain? Or is it the gods' punishment for your betrayal against the emperor and his men?"

The men's stares and words turned to daggers. The adrenaline in me surged a second time.

"I have not betrayed the emperor," I said.

"You abandoned your station and your men. I wonder what the emperor would say to that."

    I tried to detour the conversation. "Get back to the prison. Make sure --"

    "It's too late, Captain Kim," Shownu said, waving his hand at me. "I already know what you've been doing."

He grinned at me again, continuing when I didn't respond.

"You know," he said,"the emperor would not be pleased to know that his captain of the guards is no more than a spy for the enemy."

A spy? I wasn't a spy. I was an...

...an accomplice.

"Arrest the former Captain," Shownu said, waving his hands to the others. "Show him the same courtesy he's shown us."

I raised my sword, pain surging through my bleeding arm as I raised it. As the blood dripped to the ground, I met Shownu's eyes, the whites of them blazing like the fires of hell.

We both knew... I was as good as dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My bones and body ached, but it was nothing compared to my spirit.

I had lost.

In the end, Captain Kim couldn't save Kim Namjoon. Or anyone else for that matter.

I could accept my death. In all honesty, I had made it further than I ever dreamed. I never imagined that I would have survived long enough to become Captain, distribute the emperor's resources to his enemies, and say goodbye to the woman I had loved most.

It was enough. The emperor couldn't evade his enemies forever, and Y/N was tucked away in safety to live the rest of her life with purpose.

Maybe my death would satisfy her. In her eyes, I was the enemy anyways.