Chapter 25 - Hostage

"Stop moving," Namjoon commanded. "If you fall off, I'll have to drag you behind the horse all the way there."

Namjoon's arms caged you in tighter as he gripped the reins. This wasn't the first time you had ridden horseback with him. Your father taught you, Jungkook, and Namjoon how to ride when you were kids. 

But your father didn't teach you how to ride a horse while your arms were bound against your back.

"Where are you taking me?" you asked.

"Away from them."

You clenched your jaw. "Jin works for you? Why do you have a spy in the Rebellion?"

"Why should I answer?" he said. "You've already created your own answers, and won't listen to anything I tell you."

He knew. He knew about Yoongi and Hoseok. He knew where you had been and what you had been doing. And if Jin told him anything, he knew that your goal was to get your brother back.

The question was, what was he doing with this information? Was he the reason for the ambush? Was this the reason half the men had been captured? Was he the reason Taehyung had been killed? Jin certainly had no reservations to kill Kana, and he didn't seem concerned when he left you in Namjoon's custody to return to the Rebellion's camp.

The tragedies against the Rebellion were Namjoon's doing this entire time.

Wherever you are, we won't be far behind...

You shut your eyes, praying that Yoongi's words were true.

You asked Namjoon a dozen more questions, which he also didn't answer. Deciding to save your energy to focus on an escape route instead, you didn't ask anything else as Namjoon directed his horse to the outskirts of the city.

Following the paved roads, you found yourself crossing a strip of the forest to the largest structure in the kingdom: the palace.

The palace of the emperor fanned out in front of you, high on the hill in the moonlight. You never saw it so close, but the shadows suited it. It was dark, with little light for the living.

You didn't go to the palace, however. Your path curved around the side, to a massive building, half its size. The wooden gates creaked open, the guards bowed as Namjoon's horse trotted through. The blood-red robes of the emperor's guards stood out even in the darkness. The gates creaked shut, locking you in.

The grounds were dismal at best. From what you could see in the shadows, there would be nothing to see in the light. Long stretches of bare ground, surrounded by stone walls. The men stared at you both as you trotted towards the center of the prison grounds, stopping just before the long stretch of training ground.

"Stick close or you'll end up in a lot of hurt," Namjoon mumbled in your ear.

He swung you over the side of the horse and lowered you down to the ground, coming down right after you. One of the men handed Namjoon a lantern and took the horse as Namjoon gripped the ropes behind your back. He began to drag you through the grounds as you twisted in his grip.

"Let me walk alone," you said. 

"It's too late for dignity," he replied.

"What are you going to do? Kill me? Like you do with children and people who dodge their taxes?"

He scoffed. "Should have known you'd pick up rumors while hanging around the whores."

He pulled you up to a house near the training grounds, painted in bright teal and red, with a pair of lion statues guarding the entrance.