Chapter 22 - Betrayal

"When did you all get so weak?" Hoseok yelled. "Again!"

You and the men did the drill again, your muscles violently shaking. You had nearly thrown up twice from the previous ten drills that had lasted most of the evening. Hoseok hadn't given you any breaks like he usually did. He didn't give any criticisms or methods to improve. He only barked when you did something wrong, telling you to do it again. Over and over. For days.

He had barely even spoken to you after the memorial service. He left early in the morning and came back late at night. The only time you heard him speak was during training.

But he wasn't listening to anyone anymore.

"Hold your stance!" he commanded. "A hundred more strikes! I don't want to see any swords go below your ears, or I'll rip them off myself."

You did your best to keep your arms up, swinging high for the head strike drills. The long sword was nearly impossible to hold after four hundred strikes, and you could feel it slipping through your hands.

You weren't good with weapons. Namjoon never trained you with weapons.

You are the weapon, Y/N, he had always said. The sword will never be the element between you and death. You are.

Remembering his voice made you lose your focus. You noticed too late when the sword slipped from your sweaty grip, hitting the floor with a clang.

Everyone turned to look at you.

Including Hoseok.

The fire in his eyes knocked the little strength that was left in your knees. You fell to the ground along with your sword. You reached out to grab it and pull it back before Hoseok came to scold you again, but it was too late. You moment you saw his feet, his hand wrapped around your wrist and yanked you to face him. He dug his fingers in to keep his grip from slipping down your sweat-drenched arms. His gaze was strong as he looked down on you, gritting his teeth like he was about to open his mouth and swallow you whole.

 His gaze was strong as he looked down on you, gritting his teeth like he was about to open his mouth and swallow you whole

"Again," he commanded. "From the beginning."

Your fingers trembled, the urge to vomit coming up again. "Ma--"

"Do you think the enemy will go easy on you?" he spat. "Do you think they'll give you the time to pick up your sword?"

He pressed two of his fingers into your throat.

"They'll slit you open in a second," he continued, "wasting all the time I've put into you. I'm not going to let you be a waste of my time! Understand?"

Waste of time? He had never been so harsh with his words. Hoseok was the one person who had never treated you as worthless.

But looking into his cold eyes, you realized...

...You couldn't find Hoseok in them at all.

"Enough."

Everyone turned to the doorway, stepping back as Yoongi entered. It was the first time you had ever seen him step foot in the training room. His eyes were focused, his jaw set and shoulders square. At the most, you had only ever seen Yoongi irritated. Now, it looked like he could destroy the entire room in a single blow.