Chapter 35 - Rescued

"I should have brought Jimin."

Jin curled his nose at your robes, adorned with red and gold embroidery. You smiled confidently as you attached the veil to your ear.

"I won't let them catch me," you said.

"They'll see how... inexperienced you are."

"My job is to make sure they don't see me at all. A boring hostess is better than a sexy one when your goal is to be a shadow."

"Don't get yourself killed."

You nodded solemnly. "Too many people would be affected if I did."

Jin cocked an eyebrow. "Thinking highly of yourself, are you?"

"No," you said, turning to walk towards the gate. "I'm done thinking of myself at all anymore."

You walked down the forest path, taking care to get on the main path in a way that made you look as if you were coming from the city road. Your heart hummed in your chest, not daring to pound. If the adrenaline took over, it was the end of you.

As you reached the gate, the guards held their hands out to stop you. One stepped forward.

"Your business?" the man asked.

You nodded politely. "From the Red House, my lords. A present for those damaged in the fire."

The men looked at each other. "Did Kana send you?"

You looked them in the eye, holding your hands still. "We have new management now."

You didn't know if they knew Kana was dead, but best to keep it simple.

They stepped back a little. "You're alone?"

"Last night was one of our busiest, or else I would have come with the others yesterday."

The men stopped to look at each other for a moment.

"I suppose today is a good day to celebrate with extra company," one of them said.

"Straight forward to the tower," the other told you. "You can't miss it."

You bowed again, stepping through the gate.

I can't... but I will.

You walked the familiar path, the burnt structures standing charred and ragged against the sky. Hoseok had burned the main prison, but there were parts of the prison untouched by the fire. Namjoon's house was still standing, but your gut told you that he wasn't there.

Where would they keep those for execution?

You followed the path, trying to remember the cells. You saw the flag of the emperor, still waving tall over the building.

It might as well have been a sign for death.

You went with your gut, taking the path to that building.

Eyes wandered towards you, but didn't stay long, the preparations taking up too much of the guards' attention. They ran from one place to another, a spring in their steps despite the destruction around them.

The death of Captain Kim Namjoon was a celebrated occasion among the ranks of the emperor.

Because evil always celebrated when good was being destroyed.

I never changed... I just had to change who everyone thought I was.

You realized that now. You realized that Namjoon was the same man he had always been. He really did have to be more dangerous than the wicked to survive. He had to be fearless, ruthless, and unwavering to live in this place.