Chapter 37 - Savior

Namjoon's blood-curdling scream echoed through every inch of the fortress.

The men stopped, stunned. Namjoon's body dropped to the ground. The sight and sound nearly made you vomit. You tried to hide your shaking hands as you held the knife in front of them.

"You wanted him dead, right?" you asked. "Is that enough?"

You glanced at the fortress walls.

Steady...

Coming out of their shock, the guards took a step back.

"Who are you?" the one that held you by the throat moments ago asked.

"Someone who's seen enough of your kind rule people in fear. But fear runs out eventually, same as power."

You checked the wall again.

"Does anyone want to be next?" you asked.

They started to step forward. You could probably take them all, but that wasn't the best option.

"You're really going to fight all of us by yourself, woman?" one of them asked.

Shadows formed on the walls.

"No," you replied, smiling.

You kicked the ground twice.

Namjoon's foot whipped under two of the men's legs, sending them to the ground. He sprung back to his feet, taking both their swords and pointing it at their throats.

"Show your hands!" he commanded.

They raised their hands in surrender, and you stood to face the third whom you had elbowed in the face

They raised their hands in surrender, and you stood to face the third whom you had elbowed in the face. He held his bloody nose.

"There goes your promotions," you said with a sneer.

The guard in front of you blinked and then snickered. "You think you'll escape?" 

"Yes."

"Oh?" He laughed at your confidence. "There are dozens of guards looking for you both now. What makes you think you can fight them all?"

"We won't," Namjoon said, nodding to the walls. "They will."

The guard looked up, his jaw slacking. At least fifteen men were on the fortress wall, bow and arrows pulled back, aiming straight towards your attackers.

"What the devil...?"

"Never underestimate the power of your enemies," Namjoon said. "I taught you that, didn't I?"

The guard looked between you.

"Come on," Namjoon commanded.

He stepped back, swords still pointed. You walked back with him, then you both sprinted to the wall. The men didn't bother to chase you, but you could hear one of them screaming orders to the others. It was too late, though. You had reached the wall, and the men at the top had dropped ropes. Without a word, Namjoon pulled you close to his back and wrapped your arms around his neck. He hissed as his hands dug into the rope, pulling both you and him up.