Chapter 15 - Reunion

Everything turned white the moment you saw him.

He shed the outer layer of the emperor's red cloak, handing it to the hostesses of the House. They bowed, the two men beside him talking as they took off their cloaks as well. Namjoon's main robes showed the riches of his accomplishments with their deep blues and teals; the silk cloth with delicate white embroidery a stark contrast to his stone expression.

The light in the House was stronger than in your home, and even from across the room you could see how much time had aged him. His eyes were deeper set, even though they were still clear. His shoulders were higher and stronger, the silky fabric curving around his muscles like water. You couldn't help but stare, remembering those days in the fields training with him, comparing his body and face to the way it was five years ago.

He had changed, but he still looked so much like you remembered. It made your stomach ache, desiring a way back to the past.

From across the room, his eyes met yours.

You turned away, ready to jump. Hoseok's fingers dug into your thighs as his smile widened.

"Don't run away now," he said. "It's about to get fun."

"Hoseok..." you pleaded. "If he sees me, he'll kill me."

Hoseok smiled. "Will he? I'd love to see it."

"What?"

Your heart pounded as you caught the glimmer in Hoseok's eyes. He kept the stare until you could read exactly what he was thinking.

He didn't want you to collect information. This was the real reason he brought you here.

This was the bastard's plan all along.

"Captain Kim," Hoseok said over your shoulder with a large smile. "How long has it been since our last meeting? Three months? Four? The seasons have certainly changed since I saw you last."

Even though you were wearing a veil, you didn't have the guts to turn and look at him.

"Jung Hoseok," Namjoon returned, his voice vibrating deep in your ears. "I was hoping we'd never meet again."

Hoseok shrugged. "Fate feels otherwise, I guess. She keeps bringing us together, over and over again. Please, have a seat."

Hoseok gestured to the chair next to him. You ducked your head down, trying not to face Namjoon as you heard the fabric of his robes rustle beside you.

Hoseok's fingers kneaded into your waist as he brought an arm around you, the other hand twirling stray strands of your hair in his fingers.

"Still a regular, I see," Hoseok said. "Are there any women here you recommend?"

Namjoon grunted. "Ask my men. I only take part in the alcohol."

"Fascinating. There are dozens of women here ready to lay beneath you, and you choose the crushed grapes. I dare say you haven't learned how to live at the top yet."

"Hmm. The top and the bottom are a matter of perspective, I suppose."

"Let me get you a drink." Hoseok nudged you. "Sweetheart, why don't you get the Captain and his men a few drinks, eh?"

His fingers pressed into your skin in a warning.

You tried not to let your breath shake as you exhaled, standing up from his lap and grabbing a tray of drinks from one of the other hostesses. You brought the tray over, looking at the floor as much as possible.

"Appreciate it, beautiful," one of them said, as he took the drink from your tray. "Stick around. I might be thirsty again later."

"That one is off limits," Hoseok interjected playfully. "She's been with me for the last month. Finally put in the signatures for her."