Chapter 6 - Trust

"Yujin?" you asked. "Who is --"

His arms wrapped tight around you, his face burying into your shoulder. You swallowed. Was he drunk? He didn't smell drunk. He would have to be completely intoxicated to even speak to you, let alone touch you.

Or hold you... like this...

His warm arms blocked the cool summer wind from your skin. It even blocked the humiliation of dinner that was still prickling against your chest. He held you tight - tighter than anyone had held you in years.

But... something was wrong.

"Yoongi?" you asked, bringing your hands up to pull away.

Suddenly his full weight fell against you, knocking you off balance. You grabbed him, keeping both of you from falling over.

"Yoongi... what's wrong? Answer me."

He curled up and pulled back, standing straight again. His eyes were warm, but glossed over. He smiled at you once more, before turning around and walking back towards his tent. You followed, staying a few feet behind and keeping silent. He wasn't stumbling around like a drunkard or someone high on opium. An allergic reaction? A poison?

He returned to his tent and stepped inside. Before you could follow, a hand reached out and pulled you back.

Jin's assistant, Jimin, had a frown instead of his introductory happy smile. He shook his head at you as Yoongi grunted from inside his tent.

"What's going on?" you asked the assistant.

He pulled on your arm, leading you away from the tent. "You shouldn't be seen here. Come with me."

His hand was gentle and his face was matted in a thousand concerned little lines, so you complied. He led you back towards Hoseok's tent, but stopped out of earshot.

"What's wrong with Yoongi?" you asked.

He fanned the air, motioning you to keep your voice quiet. "Nothing's wrong with him."

"Is he drunk? Taking opium?"

"He doesn't drink or do opium. That would compromise his focus."

"Then what's wrong?"

Jimin sighed, shoulders dropping. He looked back to Yoongi's tent.

"Ghosts," he said.

You raised an eyebrow. "Say again?"

"Ghosts. Of the past. Ones that haunt him every night."

You cocked your head to the side. "Are you saying spirits torment him?"

"I'm saying his spirit is tormented." His eyes fell, and he folded his arms. "You can't be the leader of the Rebellion and not suffer in some way. And our leader suffers in many."

You looked back at Yoongi's tent. What would torment the heartless leader of the Rebellion?

"Who's Yujin?" you asked.

Jimin looked around, throwing his hand over your mouth. "Please don't say that name, Miss. You don't know what weight that name has here. They'll leave you to rot in the emperor's cellars if you say it in front of anyone."

His eyes were wide in panic, to the point where all you could do was nod to agree. He puffed out his breath in relief, removing his hand from your face and stepping back.

If it was a name that Yoongi said in the middle of the night incoherently, then it had to be important. Whoever Yujin was, she might be a key to getting the upper hand on Yoongi.