Namjoon 2 POV - Reunion

There were others. I was sure of it.

Jungkook was part of a gambling ring within the Red House. What better place to launder money than with people thirsty for all the world's sins?

If there were more men ready to kill as Jungkook had, I needed to find them.

I had been coming to this horrible hellhole for months now. I wasn't sure if it was more of a hellhole because of the evil in it, or because of how tempted I was to submit to it.

A man could only be alone for so long. He couldn't live in memories forever.

As time went on, the act of Captain Kim became harder and harder to separate from Kim Namjoon of the fields. If Captain Kim overtook Kim Namjoon, then my mission to relieve the kingdom of her turmoil would fail. If Kim Namjoon overtook Captain Kim, then they were both dead.

There was no balance. There were only acts necessary for survival.

Jooheon and Hyungwon had taught me that. They kept me alive and taught me how to become Captain Kim in honor of my family and the kingdom. They treated my wounds - wounds that should have killed me twice over - and put their faith in me for a better world for their children.

And now their children were without fathers. I should have been there. I was scheduled the day off, but I gave it to Hyungwon so he could enjoy the day with his children. Would Jungkook have attacked me if I was in the square with Jooheon? Maybe not. If I had been there, they would both still be alive.

They kept me alive, and in turn, I got them killed.

I wasn't letting my guard down again.

My men never objected to a trip to the Red House, but I only took two with me this time. Any more than that became babysitting. They were practically salivating when we reached the door, and I couldn't even hate them for it.

Ever since I saw Y/N again, I had been lost in my own fantasies. I could have taken her for myself, kept her beside me to never leave again. I wanted to protect her and provide for her again. I was torn between the Kim Namjoon who had wanted to run away with her, and the Captain who had power he could use for any desire he fabricated.

That power... how could one person live with it and not lose his morality?

The hostesses of the Red House took our outer robes and I searched the room for any new faces.

Instead, I found a very familiar face. One I hated seeing.

Jung Hoseok.

There was nothing I liked about Jung Hoseok. He was too arrogant to be a beggar, and too immoral to be a soldier. Every time I had a dealing with this place, he was there. I was sure he had some connection to the gambling ring. He was always there just in time to deter me from my mission.

And tonight was no exception.

"Captain Kim," he said with a smile and a woman in his lap. "How long has it been since we last met?"

"Jung Hoseok," I returned. "I was hoping we'd never meet again."

He shrugged, his hands wandering around the waist of his woman. "It seems Fate feels otherwise - she keeps bringing us together, over and over again."

I lifted an eyebrow. Maybe one day Fate would be so kind as to let me take Hoseok down.

"Please," he said. "Have a seat."

I motioned to my men. Better to keep your enemies close. Maybe if I could stay near, he would slip up some information about the ring.

We accepted his invitation and sat next to him. Even though he invited us to sit with him, he was still enamored with the woman on his lap, not looking at us as he spoke.