Chapter 18 - Scattered

"Go with him," Hoseok commanded.

You frowned, watching Taehyung help load the horse saddles with supplies. He turned his head to narrow his eyes at you, holding his glare as he walked to the next horse.

"He'll kill me," you replied.

"From what I remember, you left him to die. Not the other way around."

You folded your arms. "Why aren't you coming?"

"Because the leader and the second-in-command don't lead together. If things go south, there would be no one for my men."

You frowned, curling your lip at Taehyung.

"When you made me part of the Underground, I didn't realize that he would be my leader," you said. "I would have rejected the position, had I known."

Hoseok shrugged. "Do you have other options?"

You glanced back towards the middle of camp, thinking of Yoongi.

He wasn't there to see you off, of course. He didn't approve of you going on the mission in any form, and it took a full night of Hoseok convincing him to allow it.

"All you'll be doing is collecting information on the layout of the prison," Hoseok said. "Watch how the guards move. Take note of any weaknesses in the structures. Pick up any details that might be helpful. Taehyung will be there to guide you. Obey him."

He cocked his head at the side to look at you. You gave a slight nod, but with a dirty look.

The prison was quite a distance from the camp, and you'd have to camp out in the forests for a few days to collect information. Three or four days under Taehyung's command. If you could do that, you could do anything.

"Don't do anything foolish," Hoseok added, turning around to leave. "If I lose you..."

The muscles in his face twitched, as if they couldn't decide on which emotion to pick. He shook his head quickly and looked at you.

"Come back to your master alive," he said. "That's an order."

He walked away before you could respond.

When you turned back, Taehyung was standing right in front of you. You jumped.

"I expect the same amount of obedience that you give Hoseok," Taehyung said. "Don't forget that I'm your superior."

You rolled your eyes. "I'm not calling you master."

His lips puckered. "I don't want that title. Not from you. Just keep quiet and follow orders if you want to stay alive."

He hopped on his horse and trotted towards the forest, motioning for you to follow. Hoseok had lent you his own horse, which was a relief. You were familiar with the horse's abilities and quirks, and it also meant that there wouldn't be any strange men snuggled up behind you as you traveled.