Chapter 7 - Too Bright It Hurts

Matthew's POV:

It's 9:05 and Beyonce finally walks through the door, five minutes past her curfew; I'm sat in the front room, waiting impatiently for an explanation.

"Beyonce, where have you been?" I dare to ask, my imagination running wild; in my mind Beyonce has been out doing the devil's work.

"I was out with some friends" she says, wiping her tears away with her hands.

"DOING WHAT?" I hear myself explode; so many more questions emerge from within my disturbed mind, "WHERE? WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME? WHAT FRIENDS? HOW MANY? WHO WAS THERE? I WANT NAMES!!!"

"daddy, I'm sorry I didnt tell you, I was going to but I just forgot. I swear I just_"

"YOU LIED TO ME!!! YOU DIDNT GO TO THAT BOY'S HOUSE, DID YOU?"

"I did, I was with Chris right after church, I didnt lie to you! You gotta believe me!"

She looks so innocent as always, but I just know she's lying to me; I feel it in my soul.

"YOUR MOTHER IS TURNING IN HER GRAVE RIGHT NOW, BEYONCE! YOU KNOW WHY?BECAUSE YOU'RE LETTING HER DOWN! BEING SECRETIVE! KEEPING THINGS FROM YOUR FATHER! YOU'RE DISGRACEFUL!"

"Dont bring up mother" she warns me, dropping the innocent act "dont you dare bring my mother into this, let her rest in peace."

"GO TO YOUR ROOM, JEZEBEL!!!" I yell with everything I have "YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TALK BACK TO ME, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!! GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!"

Beyonce doesnt move; she just stands there and stares at me like she's being compelled by the spirits that are troubling her "I havent done anything wrong."

I've never been so angry in my life! Where is this attitude coming from? "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR DAMN MIND, I SAID GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!"

She hesitates first, then she rolls her eyes away as she turns to the stairs.

Beyonce's POV:

Before I can walk up the stairs, daddy's scary voice blasts off again and I freeze. "OH I SHOULD PROBABLY TELL YOU....YOU'RE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO VISIT THAT BOY!!! I'VE ALREADY SPOKEN TO HIS MOTHER AND SHE DOESNT WANT YOU GOING TO HER HOUSE!!! SHE'S VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!!!"

Ugh I hate you!

I run upstairs to my room crying like the big baby I am; I cant help it, daddy always makes me so upset when he treats me like this. I'm nineteen, I'm an adult! I'm not his little girl anymore and he needs to realize this. He's been overprotective of me since Mama Gina died and I know it's because he feels like I'm the only thing he has left, but it's not fair on me.

"I cant take this anymore" I say to myself in frustration, as I enter my bedroom and switch the light on; it's like I'm seeing my room for the first time - it's bright pink with big fluffy teddies everywhere - I'm disgusted by how much it reflects daddy's false image of me.

I dont wanna be here.

Chris' POV:

It's hard to enjoy the mac and cheese my mom just made coz I'm mad as shit with her for not wanting Beyonce back in the house. My talk with crazy ass Matthew rubbed her the wrong way, and I guess she just dont want this type of drama to pop off again.

This is so messed up.

How the hell are we supposed to be together now? I've never been allowed to chill at Beyonce's house and now she aint allowed at mine. On top of this, we've never even had sex. *sigh* Yeah I know you're thinking about the five years we been together and wondering how we managed to make it this far under such circumstances, well...truth is, I been getting mine elsewhere. I'm not proud of this so I wont go into details but all I can tell you is, after what's just happened, I'm not really feeling this anymore.

Let me grab my phone and text Beyonce this. Actually....nah. I cant do it. This is not a good time. She's probably all stressed out and shit. I'ma text her something nice instead...

Beyonce's POV:

Just as I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what I'm going to do about my suffocating life, Chris texts me:

Hey bby u bk home yet? Hope ur ok

No I'm not. Call me

A minute later my phone rings and I answer it "hey, baby. What's this I'm hearing about being banned from your house?"

Chris doesnt answer straight away "oh, yeah, um, my moms dont think it's a good idea, but she" he pauses, "she, um, she still likes you. It's just it's really crazy, y'know?"

"I understand" I say, my eyes welling up again; a lone tear falls down my cheek.

"How was your meeting tho?"

"It was good. But I'm not sure if I'm going back."

"Oh, how come? Everything alright with the girls? Did y'all get along?"

"Yes, we did. But with all this stuff that's happened, I just dont know if I can_"

"Beyonce, I gotta go" Chris cuts me off suddenly "um, dinner's ready. I'll speak to you later, ok? Bye" he hangs up the phone before I can say bye.

Oh no he didnt!😦

So he hangs up because he's gotta eat....that cant be right, he's never done that with me before; Chris normally doesnt mind munching away when he's on the phone to me.

Before I can call his ass up, I receive a text from Joseph; I know it's him coz I saved his number on my phone:

Hope u got home safe. We all loved having u here 2day n cant wait 2 c u again. Dat voice is gna do amazing things! Dont waste it. Gdnyt, beautiful. Xx

Of course I'm crying. By now you should already know I'm an emotional person; I cry when I'm upset, and I cry when I'm really happy. And this text has made me really happy to know that somebody out there believes in me like this and is encouraging my dreams of being a singer; I feel so appreciated. I'm texting back:

Hey Joseph, thank u so much for the text. Today was fun. But I dont know what to do. Daddy was yelling at me soon as I got back. He made me cry... I'm gna be up all night thinking of the right thing to do. Speak soon.

2 minutes later, I receive another text:

Y wld any1 want 2 make u cry? I dnt think I'll b able 2 sleep 2nyt knowing our meeting has caused u so much stress. Pls, let me send my chauffeur 2 u, he'll pick u up n take u 2 da girls' penthouse suite. Xx

A Big, big part of me wants to text back and say 'yes please! Now, now, now!' but a small part of me wants to text and say 'Joseph, why do you even care so much and what's with the kisses at the end of each text?'

U would do that for me? That's very sweet. The only thing is, I'd have to sneak out. Daddy isnt going to sleep anytime soon so ur chauffeur would have to get here really really late in order for me to get away with it. I'm talking like 2am.

That's not a problem. Anything for the sweet and beautiful Beyonce. Be ready for 2:30. Xx