Chapter 18: The Best Gifts Are Not Fit For Them

Sang Pingliang grunted. "Enough, enough. Save your breath! It's because we were hopeless, caring for our own family instead of helping others! It is understandable that they won't see us as their elders!"

"Second Uncle Sang has gotten the wrong idea!" Feeling disturbed, Sang Hong added, "The things are still here. Why don't Second Uncle Sang and Second Aunt Li take a look, and then ——"

"Yes, yes, yes. That'll do!" Li Shi immediately grinned and agreed, cutting Sang Hong off. As she stood up, she said, "I knew that our eldest nephew is the most filial and the most respectful towards the elders, unlike that mean lady over there!"

Fang Shi looked at her husband in dissatisfaction. But seeing that Li Shi had already stepped into the room, she had no choice but to follow. Since the man has already spoken, let's see what will be taken away!

The four entered the room. Seeing the heap of gifts, the old couple's eyes instantly glistened. Fang Shi took out a list and stepped forward. While viewing the list occasionally, she gathered a pile of gifts and put them in a corner. "These are for Second Brother which we have no control of. As such, they cannot be taken!"

Right after, she picked up a pair of gold hairpins, rolled fabric, and two pieces of head cloth before calling for Nanny Xu to receive the gifts on the spot. "My sister-in-law said to give you these as thanks for taking care of her since she was little. These are for you!"

Nanny Xu received the gifts gleefully before returning to tidying up the house.

"These few rolls of fabric and a set of scholar's treasures, together with the two gold necklaces, are for Xiao Quan and Xiao Nuan!" Fang Shi picked up the gifts before saying in dissatisfaction, "That is all. Second Uncle and Second Aunt, you may take whatever you deem! Oh and I almost forgot, the two hundred silvers have to be left for our second brother's exams and to purchase the gifts that have to be sent during the Double Fifth Festival!"

Seeing Fang Shi take a numerous number of gifts away, Sang Pingliang and Li Shi could not help but feel a heartache. What she had said was reasonable, and thus the old couple could not object. In the end, the two picked four pairs of rolled fabric and a pair of gold bracelets, a pack of bird's nest, and two pots of fine wine. Carrying those gifts as they left, Sang Pingliang suddenly turned back and questioned Fang Shi. "Did Sang Wang only give two hundred silvers?"

Fang Shi's face was already dark and unhappy as she stood at the side. Hearing him, she sneered, "If Second Uncle Sang doesn't believe me, why not have a look?"

Sang Pingliang grinned. Holding the two pots of wine firmly and putting a few of the rolled fabrics underneath his arms, he gleefully left.

"Oh yes," Li Shi smiled, "There were still many dishes left which will be wasted if your family isn't able to finish them! I'll come by later to take some of them away."

"Oh! Thank you so much, Second Aunt Li!" Fang Shi smiled coldly.

Seeing that the two had finally left, Fang Shi heaved a long sigh of relief. Raising her hand, she undid the knot nearest to her collar. She felt extremely stuffy inside her clothes!

"Ah Xian, they are our elders, regardless..." Sang Hong pulled his wife's hand and forced a smile.

"I know! I know!" Fang Shi said unhappily. "Elders, hmph! I've never seen them act like elders anyway! Still, now is different from the past; you'll have to keep an eye on them. What if one day, their hearts were hardened by pig oil and they ran straight to the Shi family? That would harm our Ah Wan!"

"I will!" Sang Hong answered firmly. Such a thing, Second Uncle and Second Aunt wouldn't act rashly, right?

Fang Shi kept silent and went to put the gifts away. She unconsciously went to touch the pocket of her skirt. In it were three hundred silvers worth of banknote and a pair of bracelets inlaid with pearls given by Sang Wan but not included in the gift list.