chapter 84

“Mother, let Sang Wan take a seat. It’s enough to have Xiu Chun serve us! We don’t fuss about this on days when guests or relatives come over, but why are there so many rules when Big Sister and Big Brother-in-law are not even outsiders?” Shi Fengju picked up a braised lamb meat as he spoke without hesitation.

When Wang Shi heard him so, she could not help but turn around. Only then did she see Sang Wan serving her from behind! “Aiya!” Shocked, she smiled and gestured, “Child, you’re too simple-minded! Your Big Sister only said that mindlessly, and you took it so seriously! Come, take a seat! Quickly!”

“Then, thank you, Mother!” Sang Wan cast a glance at Shi Yumei. Seeing that she was remaining silent, Sang Wan smiled and curtsied before passing the plate and chopsticks to Xiu Chun. She then dragged herself to sit beside Shi Fengju. Of course, there was no way for Shi Yumei to add anything! If she were to do so, then wouldn’t it mean that her position as the eldest daughter of Shi family to be more distant compared to friends and relatives?

Moreover, the table was packed with many delicious dishes that she liked. Obviously, those had caught more of her attention than bickering with her younger brother’s wife. When her mood was great, she was too lazy to fuss about others.

Shi Yumei’s character was very lively, and she had lots of words to speak with her own mother and brother. The entire meal was filled with laughter and happiness. Shi Fengju also especially had someone bring over a pot of heavy chrysanthemum wine that was three years old to complement the meal. Its amber color in the jade cup, as well as its fragrance, made Shi Yumei elated, and they ate the entire meal joyously.

Because of his statement about healthy living and Shi Fengju’s few words, only Ren Zhixian could not bear to say otherwise, and he could only eat the vegetables that were prepared especially for him. Looking at the table filled entirely with delicious dishes as their fragrance slowly traveled into his nose, all he could do was swallow a few mouthfuls of saliva.

However, although the vegetables were stir-fried, the amount of oil used was just about right and the cook was also talented, which made the vegetables a hundred times tastier than the ones at home and with a hint of freshness in them. But little did he know that the kitchen staff had added soup stock and dense seafood mushroom sauce when cooking up his dishes!

The tastier the food, the more attracted he was to the other dishes on the table like a hungry locust, and his eyes subconsciously took another look at them.

After the meal, everyone went to the parlor to chat cozily. It had been almost a year since Wang Shi and Shi Fengju saw Shi Yumei; the mother, the daughter, and the son chatted gleefully. As their conversation got more intense, Ren Zhixian cleared his throat with a cough before stubbornly saying that he’d like to return to rest.

Indeed, they should return to rest. Wang Shi was thoughtful of the long journey they had to take to arrive here, and she quickly had the people see them off. Shi Fengju faintly cast a glance at Ren Zhixian who sat formally, and there was a slight unhappiness in his heart. This person must be deliberately trying to dampen the mood! Really, just what is going on in that mind of his!

“Mother, then we’ll come over to accompany you tomorrow!” Shi Yumei smiled before getting up.

“Cough, cough!” After hearing those words, Ren Zhixian coughed even more heavily this time as he gestured to Shi Yumei with his eyes.