Chapter 33: Scream Again and You'll Be A Featherless Bird

And even if anything was said, the severity would definitely be lessened.

Gu Fangzi was not reborn, so she was unlike Sang Wan who was always on her guard and treads carefully. She gave a quick nod to show her answer before rushing off hurriedly.

Hearing that Gu Fangzi had left, Nanny Li came out from the east wing and gave a deep sigh before speaking, "Ma'am, you truly are too big-hearted! That lady is shrewd! You ah!" As she spoke, she shook her head and sighed again.

Of course Sang Wan knew, but there were words that Nanny Li could say but she could not. Smiling, she responded, "Nanny Li, you're thinking too much. As a relative, I'm just doing this out of courtesy!"

Nanny Li acknowledged, "That is also good. But it's just that there are some who do not understand the word 'courtesy' and only knows how to be unreasonable! Ma'am, you're the young master's wife, and you've got to make sure that everyone remembers that!"

To have everyone remember, to have them ingrain it in their hearts, it isn't easy. But hearing those words from Nanny Li, she felt a sudden burst of warmth enveloped her heart and she nodded gently with a smile.

In a blink of an eye, two days went by. Watching the sun slowly rise, the day gradually brightened and the birds began chirping. Sang Wan instructed a few servants to ready some chairs and tables beneath the shade of a large pagoda tree in the costus orchard. The furniture was surrounded by paper screens embroidered with images of twigs, flowers, and grass; and the ground was spread with a large red carpet. She then lay down another set of instructions for the different colored fruit pastries to be readied and the small mud furnace to be started for the water to boil before making the tea. Once the instructions were given, the maidservants completed them systematically.

While strolling with Cousin-in-law Fangzi and two other sisters to the garden, Sang Wan suddenly remembered the Shi family's Second Ma'am, Zhou Jingyi. It would not be too thoughtful of her for missing her out, and thus she instructed a servant to invite her to see if she would come.

Unexpectedly, the Shi family's Second Ma'am accepted with no sign of hesitation and left together with two servant girls, Su Qing and Su Bi.

When the Shi family's Second Ma'am arrived, Sang Wan, Gu Fangzi, Shi Lian, and Shi Rui were already there. Sang Wan and Gu Fangzi were chatting while having a hot cup of tea; Shi Lian was at a side admiring the blooming peony flowers, but with the pink robe she was wearing, she looked extremely beautiful; there was also Shi Rui who pulled the maidservants in to fly the kite with her on a patch of grass. The sound of laughter could be heard from afar as Shi Rui played together with the maidservants.

"I'm here, and it sure is lively!" The Shi family's Second Ma'am grinned and she approached the group before gently waving the fan in her hand as she lowered her head to greet. "Sister-in-law Sang Wan, Could Fangzi!"

"Sister-in-law Jingyi!"

"Cousin-in-law Jingyi!"

Sang Wan and Gu Fangzi rose from their seats. Sang Wan was the host and Gu Fangzi's position in the household was not small, thus the two stood to greet.

Tea was already served, and the three went to get seated once the greeting was over.

"I should have visited Ma'am first, but to think that Ma'am would be the first to initiate it!" The Shi family's Second Ma'am took a sip from the cup and smiled before speaking.

Face shaped like a melon seed, eyes bright and lively, and her skin fair and smooth. The moment she opened her mouth to speak, her cheeks summoned a slight dimple and her brows revealed a sense of gentleness and generosity. On a whole, she looked extremely delicate.