Chapter 40: The Hidden Will Always Reveal Itself

Sang Wan was only seen giving a light laugh. She maintained her composure and gave a glimpse at Nanny Li before smiling, "Once you're done studying in the morning, then you may go! Nanny Li, why don't you take a day off today too! How is one table enough? Have two tables placed in the dining hall located in the West Wing, but don't just invite those within the small garden; if you've others whom you know from outside the small garden, invite them over too although I'm sure Nanny also has a few old sisters she knows of! As for the dishes, just order whatever you'd like under five silvers per table. Also, request the kitchen to pick the freshest ingredient before buying two bottles of fine wine. Just put them all on my tab!"

The moment Sang Wan's words were heard, both Nanny Li and Liu Ya became elated. With Sang Wan, Liu Ya showed no modesty, but her heart was extremely grateful. With a face full of smiles, she accepted with no words of declination. Nanny Li, on the other hand, gave a few words to show humility. Her happiness soared through the sky and she smiled as she claimed she was unworthy. Sang Wan naturally had to insist repeatedly and only then did Nanny Li accept with thanks.

Zhide, Hong Ye, and the rest hurriedly stepped up to say their thanks before congratulating Nanny Li and Liu Ya again. For a table in an ordinary restaurant which cost no more than two silvers was already excellent, but a table for five silvers, the food would even more so be scrumptious and ample. As such, the maidservants were genuinely happy. Even the little lasses could not help but become happy, along with everyone else.

Nanny Li immediately took her leave. First, she would make clear to Zhide and the rest of the ones whom she would be inviting over before going off to look for her old sisters and tell them about the good news, and invite them over for dinner at the same time for the more who knew of this good news the better.

The thought of having to read and write came back to Liu Ya. Although she was not as dejected as before when it came to studying, she still exposed a spiritless expression like that of a frozen eggplant which attracted a glare from Nanny Li, "You, lass, don't you think about being lazy! Ma'am is doing this for your own good, so don't be ungrateful!"

On the subject, Nanny Li was originally quite unhappy with the fact that Sang Wan was teaching the three; Liu Ya, Zhide, and Hong Ye, on how to read and write. That was because she felt that a lass should understand to only serve her master and be ever faithful. What use was there to be literate? A little less knowing would be better! Otherwise, a seed of pride might germinate for knowing a few characters.

However, her opinion of it now was different. In the eyes of the people, and also her own, literacy makes an excellent person. For her daughter to be literate, that was great of course!

Moreover, by that sentence, it also told Sang Wan that the good she gave to her and her daughter would all be kept to heart. In short, it was to tell Sang Wan to be at eased.

The provocation before from Gu Fangzi, Nanny Li did not take any means to intervene, but instead had her expressionless face eyeing tightly at Sang Wan. If Sang Wan had exposed even a little unwillingness or grievance then, she would definitely have felt saddened—— largely because she was just a laonu. If there comes a time when she would have to choose between the young master and her daughter, she would choose the young master. She would definitely also not urge Liu Ya to put Ma'am in a difficult position and cause the young master's sanctuary to become a noisy chicken coop. The point she was trying to bring across, she was sure that Sang Wan would be able to understand without the need for her to put her loyalty into words.

If that itself needed her explanation, then there would not be any meaning left behind it. But if Sang Wan truly did develop a sense of animosity, then even a thorough explanation would have been useless.