chapter 99

“We’ll be going to a glorious country house in the east which is around 20 miles or so, and we’ll arrive there in about an hour. There are mountains and a wide lake there. The scenery there is also very refreshing! Oh, remember the crabs you ate a few days ago? Those were caught from the lake there!”

Shi Fengju smiled towards Sang Wan.

“Oh.” Sang Wan gently nodded, but she suddenly asked, “A glorious country house? There’s such a fancy country house that belongs to the Shi household? Why is this my first time hearing about it?” Sang Wan’s tone brought a slight sense of embarrassment. Shi Fengju had someone send the crabs over, but all she cared about then was to have someone receive the crabs as well as give out rewards. She didn’t have the slightest enthusiasm to know which country house those crabs came from.

But Shi Fengju just smiled at her and said, “It’s normal for you not to know. That country house doesn’t belong to the Shi household. It’s my own personal one which I set up myself.”

So it is his own private property ah! Sang Wan’s expression turned stiff, and she scolded herself for overthinking. She shouldn’t have brought up the questions and made the other person speak about his own private property! “Oh,” Sang Wan responded before going silent. Secretly, she thought to herself, No wonder he can be so generous to go as far as refurbishing his sister’s entire courtyard without even batting an eye. With this kind of capability, the amount of wealth he possesses must not be small!

Taking the initiative, Shi Fengju broke the silence, “Other than that private country house, I have two others as well as five shops. In total, they generate about sixty thousand silver in revenue every year. In addition, other than my third uncle who’s out as an official and whose family does not own any private properties, my second uncle’s family owns several private properties as well as shops which they would occasionally ask me to take care of! So long as the household’s foundation is not shaken, owning those are fine!” As he explained, he smiled, “Even mother, who dislikes having additional responsibilities, also has a three-story residence and two satin shops situated at the heart of the city!”

Mother’s two satin shops was bound to be on the verge of closing down had I not asked someone to manage them in the dark myself! Shi Fengju quickly mumbled in his heart.

Your Shi family is indeed wealthy ah! Sang Wan let out a sigh. Her heart was slightly aroused by her thoughts; if she had the money to purchase a land and set up a business, then there would be no need for her to rely on others in the future! But it was a pity that all she had were jewelry, satins, paintings, and others which could only be used. As for money, she technically did not have much!

Sang Wan could not help but feel somewhat frustrated as her heart pondered on how she should save up. Although the monthly twenty silver she received might be a lot, her expenditures were no less. Additionally, she had to reward the servants occasionally, leaving her with only a fraction left! She really should come up with a plan to reduce her expenses and save up more. That way, since those silver would be hers, she could fully depend on them and give herself a sense of security because she knew she shouldn’t just wait until the day of her departure and rely on Sir to provide some charity. If by chance her actions were made him unhappy and caused him to be his uncharitable self, then as much as she wanted to cry, she would have nowhere to do so.

Sang Wan’s expression was not something Shi Fengju had predicted. He was unsure whether she had even heard his words as she did not seem to show any interest at all, nor did she request to have one private property for herself. That made Shi Fengju somewhat disappointed. Come on, say it! So long as you say it, all the private properties under my name will all be yours! Shi Fengju thought to himself.