chapter 86

“There, there’s no way I could remember all of it so clearly ah!” Shi Yumei forced a smile as she explained, “Mother, Younger Brother, you misunderstand. My husband only went there with a few friends to do poetry and conduct discussions! He did nothing else, and he didn’t stay there overnight, really!”

“You!” The anger in Wang Shi’s stomach became unbearable!

“Enough, I understand,” Shi Fengju nodded, “Mother, Big Sister, don’t worry. I’ll have someone look into it later on.” The bill had totaled up to be nearly three thousand silver, and there was no way I could make do without deducting from my own personal account, Shi Fengju thought to himself. It was fortunate that he had several other private outlets outside, or else he would have had to put his own personal items on auction just to cover the bill! That bast*rd! Just how did he end up with such a brother-in-law?

“Big Sister,” Shi Fengju suddenly smiled and said, “Tell me the truth, really! Your former estate and land, was it really handled already?”

Shi Yumei opened her mouth. Since her younger brother would be sending someone to check their assets, he would find out sooner or later, and she, therefore, vomited out everything she knew.

So it seemed they didn’t have any assets left! Even their house was sold by Ren Zhixian! And so, the two had to bring Cui Zhu along with them as they went on the run! Of course, they had to dodge all suspicions of them owing a debt. After all, Ren Zhixian was a scholar who was often chased by shops and restaurants every day for his debt. If word got out, how humiliating would it be?

“How could this have happened! How could this have happened!” Wang Shi was so furious that her expression was distorted, and she could say nothing more. Her son-in-law had always been unreliable, and she was clear of that, but never had she expected him to be so unreliable to such an extent!

Originally, she had clenched onto the hope that because he was a scholar, there was a chance that he might pass the government examinations and become an official. That way, her daughter would be able to live a comfortable life! Who could have known that—

“What have I done? I’ve sinned!” Tears trickled down Wang Shi’s face, for she regretted not ending this ill-fated marriage. How did someone of such a high caliber end up in such a state!

Shi Yumei could not help but sob, “Mother, once he passes the examinations and becomes an official, the amount we owe will surely be returned. Surely!”

Not saying anything would have been better. Hearing her so, Wang Shi became even more upset because she knew that was impossible! But how could her foolish daughter be so fixated on it!

“Hmph! That would only happen if his ancestors can become deities!” Wang Shi was so furious to the point that she almost died of anger.

Indeed, Shi Yumei could not accept that fact, and she could not help but cry, “Mother, you were the one who married me off to him in the first place, and now you’re blaming me! Do you think that he would have no future prospects? Then why did you marry me off to him in the first place! What can I do! In the end, I still have to continue on living!”

Wang Shi and Shi Fengju remained silent. In their hearts, they secretly sighed, Just why did he turn out like this!

Shi Fengju pondered deeply. He might have already had such a personality, but because his parents were there to discipline him in the past, he had never been the one to make the decisions. And now, his true colors were exposed! But his sister had already married him!