chapter 89

Wang Shi could not help but feel sorry for her own daughter. She pulled Shi Yumei into her arms and sighed, “My good child, it must have been tough for you! When your second brother returns, let him help you!” Wang Shi was extremely furious. Our Shi family helped pay off his debt, gave him good food to eat, and let him have a roof above his head, and yet there he went educating me about etiquette! What a joke! Even if my Shi family is wealthy, that money shouldn’t be spent so wastefully! Feeding the dogs would be better! Wang Shi thought to herself.

“No, don’t!” Shi Yumei panicked and said, “Mother, please don’t tell Second Brother about what happened today. Please don’t tell him!”

“You—”

“Mother ah!” Shi Yumei smiled as if nothing had happened, “Even I was at fault today. As a man, living in his wife’s parental family would, of course, make him a little uncomfortable and sensitive! I should have spoken nicely and should not have been overtaken by my anger! It is all my fault for making Mother worry about me! I—” Shi Yumei whimpered.

“You ah!” Wang Shi was also feeling somewhat uncomfortable. Watching her daughter be in such a state, she could not even be angry. She sighed, “Really! Forget it, whatever you say, Mother will side by you! Ai, this really—”

Seeing that her mother had promised her, she let out a sigh of relief. But that made her feel even more of a letdown. So after much thought, she said again, “Mother, I think that after Mid-Autumn Festival, have Banana Courtyard readied quickly, and we will move in immediately! That way, it’ll save Mother from any more troubles!”

Wang Shi was reluctant to give up on her own daughter, and she was about to open her mouth to speak otherwise, but the thought of her unreliable son-in-law made her think that not seeing him would be better! She nodded and said, “That’ll also be good! When you two settle down in the courtyard, live your life well! Your husband said he will be participating in the examinations that will be held three years later, right? So just listen to your second brother and have him concentrate in studying in the courtyard. There won’t be anything else for him to worry about!”

“En, thank you, Mother! Only Mother and Second Brother treat me the best!” Shi Yumei smiled gratefully.

The dishes were served back out again. The mother and the daughter sat to eat, but Shi Yumei felt worried for her husband and went to pick a few dishes before having Cui Zhu send them to Ren Zhixian. Wang Shi watched without saying a word.

The next day was the annual Mid-Autumn Festival. The entire Shi household were busy early in the morning as they prepared for the festival. In the small garden, the servants shuttled to trade for preparation items, report upon completing their tasks, or give their opinions. It was extremely lively. Sang Wan, Zhide, and the others were as busy as bees, and Nanny Li brought Liu Ya with her to the kitchen to direct the dinner preparations. This was a major festival, and no mistakes should be made. Only with Nanny Li personally looking over the dinner preparations would Sang Wan not be worried.

Putting that aside, Shi Yumei wandered around the household and ended up arriving near the small garden. As she watched the servants come and go, she thought of the cold and empty Peony Park2 which made her heart burn with anger. With a sneer, she headed to the small garden with Cui Zhu.

Sang Wan heard from a little servant that the eldest missy had come, and she quickly gave her instructions for Zhide to supervise the preparations before leaving with a few other servants.