PREFACE

SERENA RAMBEAU HAD TO GET OUT OF NEW YORK

Scaling up the mortared brick steps of the Rambeau residence, Serena struggled to grasp the home's key with shaking fingers, shoving the piece inside before slamming the door closed behind her. For a moment, she stood there, listening to the quiet within the Rambeau's quaint home, cherishing the moment to take in everything. The living room decimated with Power Ranger figurines that belonged to her little boy, the forgotten lunch left on the kitchen counter meant to leave with her husband before his drive to the prescient, the frayed Scooby-Doo blanket that her youngest carried with her since the day they brought her from the hospital one year ago. It was all too much. Though it would have been worse had Idris and Sophia's babysitter not left to take them to the city for a day of fun as Serena instructed her to do by this time today.

Because if she would have had to look into her children's eyes, there was no chance of her being able to do what she had to now.

Rushing up the stairs, she sprinted to the third room down the hall—her private office—and burst inside, already heading for the portrait hanging on the wall over her desk. One that she couldn't help but smile at each time she walked in—even now. Even in the dire situation that began unfolding months ago only to finally erupt now didn't stop the corners of her lips from perking upwards at the sight of her family. Her beautiful, wonderful family.

The first time Emanuel Rambeau strolled up to Serena at her best friend's wedding reception fifteen years ago to give her that infuriating half-smile nonsense was the exact moment that she knew she was in trouble. From that passion grew a connection that grew to love with that love blossoming into a family.

How much she would beg to see that smile now.

Rushing to the portrait, she took the piece down, revealing nothing more than a keypad lock no more than three inches long and wide staring back at her. Taking a deep inhale, her eyes glanced down at the portrait, only steeling her resolve.

This is for them.

Typing in the combination, the panel slid within the confines of the wall, the metal piece sliding up to reveal a compartment only big enough to fit one hand. Reaching inside, Serena's fingers searched until they were met with cold, pulling out to reveal a glass vial. Inside, swirling bits of amber swam within gold liquid. It might resemble something a child might make in an art class, but in actuality, it was one of the most powerful substances in existence.