Chapter XII

"I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER EATEN ANYTHING SO GOOD

"I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER EATEN ANYTHING SO GOOD."

"I told you I knew where to get the best sandwiches in Queens," Peter said with a grin.

Sitting inside the booth of a quaint deli, Sophia practically vacuumed the sub into her mouth the moment it came out with a side of waffle fries both she and Peter shared. This place was one she'd never even heard of before but was very close to their school. The meal was over before it could barely begin.

"I can't believe I've never been here before."

"Ned and I found it walking to my place once. We come here after school all the time."

"Sorry I missed the invite," she joked with a small smile.

Every muscle tensed on the boy. "N-No! I mean—I didn't ever think you'd want to come. Not t-that I wouldn't have invited you or anything—"

"Pete, calm down." Reaching across, she grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze. "I much prefer being here on a date with you."

"Yeah, this is better than I imagined. But it's not over yet."

Once they paid for their meal, Peter grabbed her hand and led the two through the sunshine, taking in the rays as they strolled past block after block, only stopping once they reached a brick building with a pinball logo on the front.