Chapter XXII

"EMERGENCY MEETING NOW

"EMERGENCY MEETING NOW."

Never before had Sophia sprinted so fast in her life. After pulling herself together enough to find oxygen returning to her lungs, she snatched the framed photograph from her mother's office and suit, stuffed the two in her backpack and raced through Queens. Even going so far as to almost get hit by a taxi. Twice.

She knew my mother. She knew my mother. She knew my mother!

The thought consumed her the entire walk to Lottie's penthouse. Yes, the woman mentioned Sophia's mother before. But this revealed that she was familiar with her in a way that Sophia never even considered. Had they been friends at Oscorp? Did her mother work with her on that--that horrible serum that's inside of her now? No. No, there was no way. But how could she know for sure?

She couldn't. Not until she found her.

"STOP!" Lottie yelled just as Sophia entered the girl's apartment and threw her bag on the couch. "Where's the pizza?"

"Yeah, where's the pizza?" Harry asked, appearing from the second floor and walking down the staircase. "Did you postmate?"

Sophia was scrambling to pick up the remaining brain cells she had left. Her brow rose as Harry joined Lottie on the couch opposite her. "There is no pizza." Lottie let out a quiet gasp. "And what are you now--her roommate?"

"Kinda, yeah," Harry answered bluntly. "Until her parents decide to come back."

"Which, based on my calculations from years of experience, could be another four months." But Lottie locked eyes with Sophia, the message behind her gaze loud and clear. Harry doesn't want to go home to an empty apartment.

Ignoring the tug at her heart, Sophia tried to collect herself. "I found a lead."

Almost instantly, her friends' shoulders stiffened and their gazes darkened with intensity.

"Where do we start?" Harry asked.

Sophia pulled out the notebook and photograph, stunning her friends when she asked if they recognized the woman her mother was hugging. Instead of answering, they responded with grave nods. That was her. She wasn't just seeing things.