Chapter XXXIV

HEAD COLLIDING WITH THE FROSTED BRICKS, Peter groaned in pain from both his skull and the blinding light that exploded from the girl in his arms, sending him sailing across the room

HEAD COLLIDING WITH THE FROSTED BRICKS, Peter groaned in pain from both his skull and the blinding light that exploded from the girl in his arms, sending him sailing across the room. Vision doubling, shadow and light fought against one another within the chamber, the sounds of Iron Man's jets igniting for battle.

Wait . . . battle?

Doing his absolute best to fight through vertigo, Peter rose to his feet, stumbling a tad as he looked onto the scene playing out before him.

Iron Man was in midair, jets keeping him afloat as he called out something that rang too much inside Peter's ears to understand. And there was something else in the air near him . . .

Eyes widening, Peter's voice cracked as he whispered, "Sophia . ."

Levitating in the air, a pair of unfamiliar, cruel eyes burned violet alongside her limbs and veins, hair floating gently around her face as her gaze assessed the room. All trace of Sophia gone. This was someone--something--else entirely.

And it terrified him.

"SOPH!" Peter screamed, rushing towards the girl. "Sophia, what are you doing?"

But it was as if his shouts couldn't reach her as she simply looked ahead, not acknowledging either of them as Greta strolled across the balcony with a sickly sweet smile on her lips.

"Proserpina," she started, Sophia's head imminently twisting to face her. "Play around with them for a moment."

Almost imminently, Sophia raised a hand towards the ceiling which emanated the same poisonous glow, crumbling the brickwork until it came crashing down onto Tony, burying him against the earth.

"Mr. Stark!" Peter yelled, rushing over to help remove the cement blocks. But he only managed to sling aside a few before a sharp tug on the back of his neck had him thrown across the room onto a pillar, smashing the structure to pieces. Composing himself, he noticed Sophia now planted on the ground, that deadly light still hovering around her.