Chapter XXIII

THERE WAS NO CHANCE OF SOPHIA FOCUSING ON SCHOOL the rest of this week

Monday blurred into Friday as Sophia waited day and night by her phone to hear anything from Harry, who hadn't been at school. Tons of times, she texted him to come to school and do the genius-kid-hacking thing later, but he reassured her every time that he was sick and that was why he wasn't at Midtown.

Like she believed that for a second.

"Lottie," Sophia said, shocking the girl enough to fumble the books stacked in her arms. "Is Harry actually sick? Tell me now."

"Harry? Who's Harry?" Lottie said, unable to meet her eyes. "Peter's behind you!"

"What?" Sophia said, glancing behind her to find no such boy. "Why would you--" she stopped, turning to find Lottie already halfway down the hall. "HEY!"

Bounding after the little blonde, Sophia passed through the crowds at a record pace, having to actually hold herself back slightly as to not reveal her freakish, new endurance. Catching her friend's shoulder with her gloved hand, she pulled her back without much effort. "Did you forget that I kind of have a new skill set that allows me to catch you much easier than I used to? Now tell me the truth."

Lottie sighed, her shoulders caving in. "Okay, okay. Harry asked me to go along with telling you he was sick because he just didn't want to have you feel worried or guilty, Sophia!"

"So you guys would rather lie to me?"

The halls began to clear as Lottie pressed a finger to her temple, trying to collect her thoughts. "After everything that happened last year . . . I don't know if you understand how badly Harry feels. I mean, his dad almost killed you and your family. A company with his name on it experimented on you. And even though you guys talked it all out and reconciled . . . it eats away at him every day, Sophia."

"I-I understand." Though she couldn't believe her own words hearing them aloud. "I try to."

"Harry wants to do everything in his power to make this right. He can never take away what happened to you but if he knows that there is a chance to help find the people that did it--he's not going to sleep until it's done."