Chapter XXXI

THEY WERE WASTING TOO MUCH TIME

Peter bounced on the balls of his feet within the Quinjet, glancing towards his watch every few seconds, maybe hoping that the hands would halt and time would somehow stop along with it. Then maybe he could finally catch his breath knowing that Sophia was frozen in time somewhere in the icy realm of Siberia, waiting for help to come. And it would.

If they ever left New York, that is.

He already complained when Tony mentioned that they were waiting for another to join them for the mission. Every second ticked by like an eternity on his watch, Peter constantly watching the hands not because it helped ease his mind in any way, but because it kept his thoughts from moving onto . . . whatever could be happening an ocean away.

He had almost reached a breakdown shortly after everything came to light within the tower. Never once had his heart beat so loudly and pulse raced so wildly since the night of witnessing his uncle's death. It was Harry and Lottie that rose from the coach, surrounding him with affirmations that they would reach her in time.

"Sophia is tough, Peter. You know that. I mean, you work with her, I guess," Lottie said, still so incredibly stunned by the realization that the quiet, brilliant Peter Parker was actually the masked hero their city so admired. "She can pull through--she will pull through. And the second she lands her eyes on you, you're going to give her a whole new kind of strength."

Peter chewed on his bottom lip, allowing his heart to ease before he spoke. "She really stayed away because . . . she was scared of hurting me? But I-I could have helped. I should have--"

"The first few months after Oscorp were bad, Pete," Harry explained, a blanket of guilt riddling his features that was sure to never go away when approaching this topic. "Especially with what happened to her dad. The fact that she couldn't heal him because of what Greta did to her made her hate herself. And then she had no control and would destroy everything she touched. If it wasn't for Idris being able to give her constant updates on his condition . . . I don't know if she would have even cared to try and control it."