Chapter VII

"I'M SORRY, SOPH."

Slamming her locker door shut, Sophia simply turned away from Peter's pleading face and hurried apologies. Since coming home yesterday from her ride-along with Spider-man, she'd ignored the insistent calls and texts she'd finally received from the Parker boy only minutes after she'd walked through the door of her home. And all day, she'd managed to avoid him at school, until now, when he'd finally cornered her in the hallway before lunch.

"What can I say to make you look at me, Soph?" His nickname for her felt like a stab each time he said it. "I'm so sorry. S-Something came up and I should have called you, that's not an excuse, I just—"

"You just what, Peter?" Honestly, she wasn't even that mad at him anymore. Not after her conversation with the masked hero. It was mostly . . . disappointment. Because this proved that this was his way of telling her no—nothing was going to happen between them. And that was okay. She would just have to get used to it. "I-It's fine, Peter. I promise."

"No—No!"Just as she was about to turn a corner, he blocked her way, shocking her enough to take a step back. "Disappointing you—hurting you—is never okay. Not to me. That's the last thing I want to do to you . . ."

"Then why keep doing it? First the party, which I get that you were sick, but then you just didn't show up, Peter. Without talking to me again! And you refuse to tell me what you were doing! Don't think I believe for one second that you were stuck in traffic or whatever excuses you texted me. I just—" she paused, stopping herself from saying that there was a part of her that wanted to explore the bubbling feelings she had for him. Feelings that had been following her for some time now.

"You just what?" His voice was barely above a whisper.

The hallway was practically empty now with most everyone inside the cafeteria or classrooms. Hopefully, he couldn't hear her heartbeat against the deafening silence.