Chapter XX

SOPHIA WAS NOT IN MANHATTAN ANYMORE

That much she knew as she awoke on a desolate, run-down building, chained to a broken pillar. It seemed to once be some sort of care unit--a hospital--which only sent further shivers down her spine as she tried breathing through the terrifying memories piercing her mind.

Huge cracks and chunks of the building gave her a clear view of the water separating her from Manhattan. Roosevelt Island. That had to be where she'd been taken to. It was the only place she could think of that would have any sort of crumbling building like this.

The sun beat down on her face, leaning towards the west. It couldn't be too long before dusk.Staring down at the chains, Sophia tried to bring up her power to decompose them, but the glow would last for all of a second before retreating inside her.

"Couldn't let you go running off during our interview, could I?"

Sophia jerked her head towards Norman Osborn, the maniac clad in his Goblin ensemble, all except for the head which he held in his hands, as well as an empty syringe which he threw aside. But the look in his eyes . . . that was a look she'd never seen Harry's dad make before.

"You're disgusting. Does Harry even know--"

"Ah, ah, I talk during the interview. You give me the answers I want." With a click of his hand, a giant blade came shooting out of his wrist, ending a good few inches above his fingers. "Or we might have to make a few more incisions, Miss Rambeau."

Imminently, sweat crept across her forehead at the thought. Sophia swallowed the lump in her throat and threw a glare at him. "What was all of this for?"

Trailing his blade across the wall, it scratched eerily until he stopped it an inch from her face.

"It was for you, Sophia. This has all been for you. Or, for you to help me, I should say." The blade skid back into his suit, Norman now kneeling to meet her face to face. "You have something I want. Something that was created for my company. Something you, unknowingly, stole from me. I thought it was lost forever until I saw that beautiful, golden shine coming out of your hands that day."