Chapter XXXIII

"FRIDAY, ACTIVATE DRONE CAMELEON PROTOCOL," TONY SPOKE INTO his com, eyes cast onto the towering fortress of ice

"FRIDAY, ACTIVATE DRONE CAMELEON PROTOCOL," TONY SPOKE INTO his com, eyes cast onto the towering fortress of ice. Almost instantly, the drones gathered on the edge of the treeline where the three hid, their metal gears spinning and expanding into some sort of large, hovering barrier. Peter felt his jaw drop when the metal shifted to reflect the snow-covered trees and icy forestry surrounding them.

"It's a camouflage," he marveled, poking the 'metal' reflecting the hanging icicles in the treeline. "We're going to use this to get in?"

"It will be able to get us to the front door, at least," Tony explained, walking to standing beneath the shield, the drones bending to cover their feet. "Let's get moving, team."

Huddling beneath the reflective shield, every step that Tony made caused the barrier to inch further and further through the terrain. The enhanced senses within Peter were firing off like crazy trying to tell him that danger was near, but his focus remained on staying out of sight and controlling the adrenaline pumping through his muscles as they were mere moments away from entering the compound.

Somewhere inside this place was his friend. Horrible images of what might be happening to her while being held captive here only made his focus more resolute.

I'm coming, Sophia. Just hold out for a little longer.

Reaching a section of the wall with a gaping portion of the brickwork gone, the barrier shifted to cover the three as they slipped inside. No one said a word as Natasha gave a strong nod, slipping into the shadows with only the sound of her steps reminding Peter that she wasn't a phantom within these walls.

"Let's go, kid."

The interior of the fortress made Peter feel as if he stepped back into some distant time with much of the building falling apart with piles of snow leaking in from the broken ceiling. Every hall they passed down was eerily quiet, the echo of their steps making him think the enemy was following behind, so Peter nearly screamed when Tony suddenly stopped in place just before they reached the corner of the corridor.