Chapter XVIII

IT HAD BEEN THREE DAYS AND THERE WAS STILL NO SIGN of Goblin

IT HAD BEEN THREE DAYS AND THERE WAS STILL NO SIGN of Goblin. You'd think that someone who 'wanted' to be found by Spidey would make it a bit more clear where to reach him?

Though they had done some good during that time as well. Together, they'd put a stop to a few bank robberies, saved some citizens, rescued a cat from a tree, and Queens was getting used to seeing her alongside their favorite hero. Even better--she realized Spider-man really had her back in all this. They were an unstoppable force together.

But time was of the essence. She had to get Goblin to tell her who that woman was before she was too far gone to reach.

"I'd say we can call it a day," Spidey declared just after dusk.

"So soon?" She asked, now so used to the two roaming around the city together way into the night.

"I know, but I've got homew--home improvement . . . projects . . stuff to attend to?"

"God, I hope you never have to be interrogated by anyone." Sophia smiled under her mask. "Same time tomorrow, hero?"

"See you then--hey, wait, what do I call you? Don't get me wrong, 'partner' is great, but I think you've been doing this long enough to at least have something else I can call you."

This again. Ever since the topic came up in Lottie's car a few days ago, she had been giving it some thought. Though nothing sounded good enough. Except for . . .

Emanuel lifted his tiny, five-year-old daughter into the air, spinning her around as a little Sophia burst into excited giggles. The pair were playing her favorite game--airplane.

"I can fly!" The toddler barely managed to say between laughter. "I'm Iron Man!"

"And I'm LOKI!" A younger Idris declared with a wooden spatula in his hand, springing from behind the couch and running after Sophia and their father. "KNEEL!"

Sophia produced some noise between a scream and a laugh, whispering to her father to fly faster. His strong hands dipped and swiveled her through their living room, rushing away from the young king from another world. But the merriment came to a swift end when there was a hard crash, followed by a cry of pain and tears from her older brother.