Chapter XIII

"COME ON, LOTTIE, PICK UP

"COME ON, LOTTIE, PICK UP."

Sophia walked the streets of New York, maneuvering through the maze of skyscrapers towards the unmistakable Oscorp Headquarters looming overhead. "It's no Stark Tower," she mumbled to herself as she dialed Lottie's number again. This was the third call that her friend had yet to answer. Coming home after her date with Peter--while avoiding her father's endless harassment by locking herself in her room--Sophia tried calling the petite scientist to see if she wanted to meet at her place or at Oscorp later, but never received an answer. By the time night finally fell over the city, she assumed that Lottie would be waiting for her at the base of the tower.

Though it took some convincing for her father to let her out of the house. Normally, if she was going over to Lottie's place, her friend would always use the excuse to come and pick her up in her car now that she could drive freely. So the second she said she'd be walking there, the police chief was imminently suspicious. But she finally got out the door when she started lamenting about how she wanted to talk to Lottie about her date--in detail that was sure to send her dad into eternal, cringey slumber.

"Why isn't she picking up?"

Frustrated, Sophia slipped her phone into a pocket and kept forward. The streets were barren aside from those leaving the filled bars and restaurants, which didn't do much to help calm her nerves. It wasn't often that she found herself in this part of town and walking alone at night always left her a little nervous--without the mask on, at least.

So when something red, blue and gangly landed just a foot in front of her, her gut reaction was to scream and sling her backpack at the thing, hoping the textbooks inside would kill it.A set of gloved, red fingers caught it instantly, a familiar masked hero rising from his spot on the sidewalk.

"Nice reflexes," Spider-man's voice said with genuine awe. "That was like an inch from hitting my face."

"I don't know if I can feel safe around a hero that could be taken down by a high school girl's backpack at any moment," she teased, retrieving the backpack as he offered it. "What's got you swinging around these streets, Spidey? It's a bit out of your usual route."