Chapter XXXII

"WE ARE DUE TO BE OVER THE COORDINATES OF MISS RAMBEAU'S LAST LOCATION IN FIVE MINUTES," that same robotic woman's voice called over the intercoms, the news sending Peter flying to his feet to try and contain the spastic nerves flying through his ...

"WE ARE DUE TO BE OVER THE COORDINATES OF MISS RAMBEAU'S LAST LOCATION IN FIVE MINUTES," that same robotic woman's voice called over the intercoms, the news sending Peter flying to his feet to try and contain the spastic nerves flying through his bloodstream.

This was it. Sophia was just minutes away.

"Kid," Tony called from the other room, Natasha motioning for him to join. "Come on, let's talk strategy."

Peter gripped his new mask, still reeling at the sight of his reflection when passing through the hall. The new suit that Tony gifted him before the battle against Captain America was one of the most advanced pieces of tech he had ever seen. It was built to perfection for his heightened senses and abilities. He wasn't even certain what all the suit was capable of yet. Stepping off the plane back from Germany, he could hardly wait to see Prayer's reaction once he came swinging through the streets that night.

"Woah, Spidey! Did you get a haircut? Something's different about you." That's what he'd imagined her reaction would be.

Only he never ran across her that night. Because she was all alone on the other side of the world.

The grip on his mask tightened.

Peter walked in on Tony and Natasha surrounding a glowing table of holographic blueprints of the earth far beneath them. It was basically all forest with no civilization anywhere for miles from what was shown on the image. Though a small, blinking dot in the distance was quickly approaching, showing some structure built in the middle of the woods. Just staring at it gave him an overwhelming sense of isolation, unable to stop his mind from conjuring an image of a small Sophia racing through the harsh wilderness in search of answers, not knowing that she would come across much more than that.

A pain shot through his chest, Peter clutching the spot to try and ease it.

The jet came to a swift stop high above the clouds just as the dot landed center on the hologram. A hard lump in Peter's throat made it harder to breathe as he stared at the blinking thing, knowing what it meant.