Chapter XXVI

PETER FELT LIKE HE GOT RUN OVER BY AN ARMY of Iron Man suits

"Um . . . " He shoved the phone in his pocket, struggling to keep his mind from crumbling to bits in front of his childhood hero. This was already probably a really bad first impression--he had a superpower for stuttering. "What--what are you doing? Hey! Uh--I'm--I'm Peter Parker."

Tony lifted his hand, Peter stumbling to meet it as he marveled at the billionaire genius parading through his home. "Tony."

Peter tried to mimic the confident air that Tony carried, awkwardly crossing his arms over his chest. "What are . . . what are you--you doing here?"

"It's about time we've met. You've been getting my emails?"

Like hell he had. But even the biggest idiot could figure out he was hiding the real reason why he'd come with his aunt standing right here. So it was time to go along with whatever this is. "Yeah. Yeah."

"Right?" Tony hinted.

"Regarding the . . .?"

May strolled over, grabbing his shoulders excitedly. "You didn't tell me about the grant!"

Grant?

Peter and Tony continued this awkward dance around May, eventually finding some excuse to disappear into Peter's room--where he instantly went to shoving aside all the thrown clothes and dumpster tech he'd collected as Tony spat out May's cooking.

"As walnut date loaves go, that wasn't bad. Woah, what do we have here? Retro tech, huh? Thrift store? Salvation Army?"

"Uh, the garbage, actually."

Tony raised his brows. "You're a dumpster diver."

"Yeah, I was . . . Anyway, look, I definitely did not apply for your grant."

Instantly, Tony wagged his finger, silencing Peter. "Ah-ah! Me first. Quick question of the rhetorical variety." Taking out his phone, Peter almost felt his heart jump to his throat at the sight of a video of himself as Spider-man, the same that Sophia showed him yesterday. "That's you, right?"