Chapter XXIX

WHAT HAPPENED TO SOPHIA?

Tony led the kids to some lounge area, the entire walk there a little hazy for Peter as the different scenarios of what happened to her played inside his mind--none of them good. Why did danger target her? Why was he not better at protecting her? If anything happened to her while he was away in Germany, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself.

All that painted his thoughts was her face. The soft smile she would always throw over her shoulder towards him in the hallways whenever she thought he didn't notice--he always did. The sound of her voice as it lulled him to some comfortable plane of existence no matter if he was nervous about a chem test or fighting against the Avengers.

"When I get back . . . we should celebrate you getting that internship."

Why did he keep letting the person he cared for more than anything down?

"Kid," Tony said, resting a hand on his shoulder. Peter hadn't even realized that he was slightly hyperventilating. "I need you to come back to earth with us."

"R-Right. Sorry--sorry, guys."

"Now before you keel over Wonder Boy here," Tony said, throwing his head towards him. "I need a really good explanation as to why you're here. And why Hydra might have--who's this friend again?"

Lottie chewed on her bottom lip, casting a glance over at Harry who gave a brief nod before she started. Her glassy gaze fell onto Peter and he could see her physically hold back a sob.

"Her name is . . . Her name is Sophia Rambeau."

At the confession, a fist closed in on his heart, crushing it.

"W-What do you mean?" Peter started, choking up. "Where is she?"

"There's a lot to explain," Harry started.

"Five minutes," Tony reminded, casting a concerned glance at the boy breaking down beside him. "Make it fast."

"What we say in here . . . it can't leave this room. Sophia has kept this secret her whole life--even from us until a couple of months ago. If this got out, she would be in even more danger."