Chapter XXXV

EVERYTHING WAS DESTROYED IN THE BLAST

Peter hadn't even had time to protest when Tony's jets activated, shoving an arm around his waist while the other held an unconscious Natasha, flying the three out of the Hydra fortress just as Sophia released a systemic wave of energy that crumbled the structure to its foundations.

It all happened too quickly for Peter to process.

Watching the building collapse in on itself, terror caused his lungs to collapse, fighting between latching onto or punching against the iron suit.

"Mr. Stark!! We have to go back and get her! Sophia's down there! We have to go back!!"

But Tony remained far above the fortress, blocking out the kid's cries of distress as he watched the destruction that young girl caused. Everything was obliterated. Patches of amethyst fire burned between fallen bricks, eating away at their material until they were dust. What that girl had just done . . .

It reminded him too much of what happened with Wanda back in Lagos. But this was different. What this girl could do was . . .

Dangerous, Tony thought. She is dangerous.

"Mr. Stark, let me go!!" Peter struggled to remove himself from Tony's grip. "I have to go get her! I have to--" Stopping himself, his gaze caught something revealing itself within the destruction, shining a brilliant violet before its light slowly died.

"SOPHIA!!"

The young girl was stumbling across the fallen fortress, disoriented and lost with pieces of the obsidian circlet in her hands. Glancing around, Sophia couldn't find any trace of Greta . . . but she couldn't think about what that meant. Or rather, what that meant she did. But something . . . something was wrong.

Something hard landed on the earth and Sophia lifted her gaze to find a grimacing Tony Stark carrying an unconscious Black Widow and panicked Peter Parker, who fell from his hold and ran right towards her. When he reached her, his touch was gentle as he placed his hands beneath her own that still gripped the circlet.