Chapter I

IT WAS ONLY TWENTY MINUTES BEFORE FIRST PERIOD and Sophia Rambeau was already struggling with this day

"Idris! No amount of hot water can help drown out your rancid scent! Frankly, it's offensive the majority of the time. So GET OUT!" Banging on the bathroom door, Sophia could feel her face burn while listening to her brother whistle the tune of Spongebob Squarepants.

"You know what, I'll remember this when I'm hacking your instagram later today. Enjoy everyone thinking you're a furry in your free time!" Before she could listen to Idris's sudden fumbling in the shower, she rushed down the hall into her room and shut the door, glancing at the time every couple minutes as she threw on some clothes and brushed through her tangled hair.

One quick way to ruin her day—prevent her from being on time to anything. Meetings, events, school, whatever. And her brother's late start to the day completely threw off any chance at a regular morning routine. Now she would have to skip out on breakfast to sprint to the train station before she'd be late to class.

Pulling up half her hair, she pulled it back in a tight ponytail while running her fingers through the rest of it. It had nearly given her dad a heart attack the day she came home with nearly platinum hair compared to her natural brown all because Lottie convinced her she'd look fantastic with the help of some very convincing Photoshop skills. When she'd waltzed into Midtown School of Science and Technology weeks ago from summer break with the new look, it had garnered so much attention that she'd imminently wanted to dye it right back, but Lottie threw out every boxed dye she purchased until Sophia was done wasting money and kept the look. For now.

Stumbling as she threw on her sneakers, Sophia almost forgot her backpack and ran back to grab it off her bed before rushing down the stairs, dodging her half-naked brother as she did.

"If you hack my account, I'll burn all your dinners for the next week!"

"You cook for me and dad, Idris. Have fun explaining your burnt mac and cheese to him." Sophia couldn't help but mirror her brother's smile at their sarcastic exchange. Humor was how they expressed their appreciation for one another—it always had been. Along with empty threats and binging Friends during Dad's late night shifts. "If I'm late, you're buying me pizza tonight."