Chapter VIII

IT FELT LIKE WEEKS PASSED SINCE PETER HAD BEEN AT SCHOOL

IT FELT LIKE WEEKS PASSED SINCE PETER HAD BEEN AT SCHOOL. Though in reality, it had only been thirteen days since Ben Parker's funeral.

Sophia did not know what to do as she stood behind Peter and May that gloomy morning, watching their loved one descend into the earth. As much as she wanted to reach for his hand, she knew this wasn't the time for comfort, grabbing Harry and Lottie's shaking hands instead.

After the funeral, Peter barely exchanged a word to his friends as her father and brother pulled him and May into an embrace, moving back to allow her to as well, whispering that if he needed anything to call her.

He hadn't.

Even now in class, tears prickled her vision. Peter had experienced so much loss in his life. First his parents—a swift laceration that no child should ever experience. And now the only two people that were as close to second parents were half gone . . . A husband and uncle lost all at once.

If I had been there . . .

She stopped the dark thought right there, just as she'd trained herself to do the past week. Just after she heard the news, she crawled inward and blamed herself for not being there. Ben could be alive if she had been there. And that self-hatred turned into days without touching food or sleeping, Idris finally sitting down and letting her sob out enough guilt to eat something.

If she didn't stop the thought now, she'd hate herself again in the morning.

"Ned, you ready to go?" she asked as the bell rang.

"Sorry, Sophia, I can't. Dad said I have to go with him to take my brother to ballet class."

"Want me to tell Pete you'll be there soon?"

"Definitely. See you, Soph."

Sophia dragged her feet to the school's entrance, looking ahead to find Harry pulled up to the curb, walking around to help her into the passenger seat before driving through Queens.

"Ned's not coming?"

"No. Something came up."

"Lottie too. The festival is tomorrow, so she's basically paying rent at Oscorp now."