Chapter XVII

SOPHIA NEVER FELT SO TRAPPED INSIDE HER own home

All morning and afternoon, Sophia couldn't get her mind off of Peter ever since she brutalized him in that hallway last night. Guilt of how she must have made him feel by walking away like that ate away at her all night and day. So she realized there was only one thing she could do to try and get her mind off of his sad eyes.

Go kick some ass.

Though the first battle was getting past her father.

"Dad, it's Lottie! I want to go with her to some movies. Let me leave," she practically yelled, past the point of begging--knowing that that wouldn't be the way to break through her father's steely exterior.

"Sophia Rambeau, I said no. We still have not apprehended the criminals that held you captive in Oscorp and--"

"And you may never! So you expect me to just sit in my room for the rest of my life until you do find them? What about school? I've already missed three weeks and about to miss another. I'm going to be expelled if I don't go back soon."

Emanuel took a long breath before continuing, "I've been looking into the option of home-schooling."

Sophia was stunned. Even Idris raised his head from his schoolbook to gap at their father. "Dad, you can't be serious," he said, defending his younger sister. "You can't ask Sophia to leave her friends behind. And in case you forgot, she goes to freaking Midtown! That's the best education in the city for any kid her age."

"I'm not doing home-schooling . . . " There was a quiver behind her words, closing her eyes tightly. Either might have thought that it was her trying to process her father's words, but in reality, she was attempting to reel back in the horrid power she could feel rise to the surface. When she was certain it was gone, she opened her eyes to glare at her father.

Neither of them knew of what happened to her at Oscorp. Emanuel tried his hardest to get his daughter to make a statement of any kind, but she refused. Even if she agreed to, she wouldn't have made it five minutes before falling into a vault of horrific images and losing herself completely.